Apr 9, 2010, 12:52 PM EDT
No shock with this one — Derrick Favors was as hot a name on the high school recruiting trail as there was a year ago, and he was certain to be a one-and-done.
Today he will make that official, he’s heading for the draft. Fox Sports had the story first this morning.
Favors will and Kentucky’s DeMarcus Cousins will likely go third and fourth overall in the draft, in an order yet to be decided (depends on who is drafting there).
Favors has all the tools you could want in a big man (6’10”, 246), starting with the fact he is an amazing athlete. He is a guy who can score in the half court but might be best as an ideal power forward or center on a running team. He gets up and down the floor like a gazelle and can finish.
Which you might never know from watching him at Georgia Tech. The team had no real quality perimeter players — not even ones who could consistently make a good entry pass to the post — so other teams packed the paint on the Yellow Jackets. Then the other big at Georgia Tech, Gani Lawal, is another pro prospect with a similar (though not as good) game as Favors. The result was some ugly half-court basketball. Favors does not have a lot of moves in his arsenal yet — he relies on that athleticism to create shots — and that hampered what he could do in the crowded paint at Georgia Tech.
Put on an NBA team with a guard who can create opportunities for others, Favors should thrive. And it is best for him to get out of the awkward situation at Georgia Tech now.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 2
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 27
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 17
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15