Apr 8, 2010, 5:03 PM EDT
There’s going to be a lockout in the summer of 2011.
It is about the worst possible thing the NBA could do to the business model. It will damage the livelihoods of not a few hundred NBA players but tens of thousands of people who work in those arenas. It will turn off the fans that are just starting to spend on the sport again after the recession. There will be no winners.
Yet every private conversation with people close to the talks on one side or the other makes the lockout sound inevitable.
Which is bad for us basketball junkies. What are we going to watch and obsess over? Important things like a heath care debate? Ha, no.
We’re going to turn to the D-League. It isn’t going anywhere. There was an interesting series of tweets from Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress on this subject.
Had a really interesting conversation w/Chris Alpert, one of head honchos at D-League, yesterday. We talked about the NBA lockout
And what that could mean for the D-League. Everything is TBD still, but it seems D-League will go on even if the NBA is locked out.
Could be a great opportunity for the D-League to nab some NBA players who want to stay in shape & get some serious exposure. More TV games?
The D-League rocks. It had 1 million people come watch games, had more than 30 players called up to the NBA this season, it has good play. It’s fun to watch.
And if the owners and players association are insistent on seeing how much damage they can do to the league, the chance to watch some guys bust their ass just for the opportunity, to try to make their dreams come true, would be a nice refreshing change. One some people may stick with.
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 23
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 55
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 18
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 33
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8
- Reports: Bulls getting closer to firing Tom Thibodeau 30
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 3