Apr 8, 2010, 5:03 PM EDT
There’s going to be a lockout in the summer of 2011.
It is about the worst possible thing the NBA could do to the business model. It will damage the livelihoods of not a few hundred NBA players but tens of thousands of people who work in those arenas. It will turn off the fans that are just starting to spend on the sport again after the recession. There will be no winners.
Yet every private conversation with people close to the talks on one side or the other makes the lockout sound inevitable.
Which is bad for us basketball junkies. What are we going to watch and obsess over? Important things like a heath care debate? Ha, no.
We’re going to turn to the D-League. It isn’t going anywhere. There was an interesting series of tweets from Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress on this subject.
Had a really interesting conversation w/Chris Alpert, one of head honchos at D-League, yesterday. We talked about the NBA lockout
And what that could mean for the D-League. Everything is TBD still, but it seems D-League will go on even if the NBA is locked out.
Could be a great opportunity for the D-League to nab some NBA players who want to stay in shape & get some serious exposure. More TV games?
The D-League rocks. It had 1 million people come watch games, had more than 30 players called up to the NBA this season, it has good play. It’s fun to watch.
And if the owners and players association are insistent on seeing how much damage they can do to the league, the chance to watch some guys bust their ass just for the opportunity, to try to make their dreams come true, would be a nice refreshing change. One some people may stick with.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47