Apr 7, 2010, 12:25 PM EDT
The Atlanta Hawks (sans Joe Johnson and Mike Bibby) dropped a game to the Charlotte Bobcats last night, which locked in the Orlando Magic as no. 2 seed in the East. It’s not exactly an unexpected development; the Magic are at least the Eastern Conference’s second best team, and with the way Orlando has played over the last two months, this moment seemed like an inevitability.
It seems increasingly likely that the Magic will match up with the aforementioned Bobcats in the first round, but even more important is Orlando dodging Cleveland until the Conference Finals. Don’t get me wrong, the Magic stand just as good a chance as waltzing into the Finals as the Cavs do, but if they can preoccupy themselves with the Hawks or the Celtics and put off the collision with LeBron and co. until the ECF? I don’t think Orlando would mind. Not one bit.
The West may be fireworks from the start, but in the East the big payoff may not come until those two ridiculously talented teams meet. The Magic locking up the 2nd seed brings us one step closer to that reality.
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (92)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (62)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay