Apr 7, 2010, 1:03 PM EDT
The Dallas Mavericks are struggling right now, and there’s no way around that. The defense performance hasn’t improved with the additions of Brendan Haywood and Caron Butler, Jason Terry and Butler have each had plenty some trouble with their shooting, and the perimeter defense shifts from passable to deplorable. As of now, it’s not even certain the Mavs would be favored to win a first round series, much less make an extended run in the playoffs.
Dirk Nowitzki doesn’t mind the struggles. From Eddie Sefko of the Dallas Morning News:
when [Nowitzki] analyzed their situation – which has included three weeks of
uneven, perhaps even sub-par, play – he saw a reason not for panic, but
In fact, he loves what he sees, which is
five regular-season games that will be packed with pressure to perform.
“I always liked having something to play for at the end,
having a good rhythm going into the playoffs and not have the seeding
already done a month before and coast through,” he said. “So for me,
it’s another perfect year, just like last year.”
You can’t blame Dirk for taking such a stance; the alternative strategy of coming into the playoffs at a walk and resting starters is considered to be one of the factors in 2007 that led to the Golden State Warriors’ epic first-round upset over Dallas. Needless to say those weren’t exactly fond memories for Nowitzki.
That obviously doesn’t mean Dallas won’t try to right the ship over their last five games. They have a lot they’d like to accomplish before the sun sets on the regular season, and maybe an incredibly abbreviated timeline will motivate a team that’s lacked a sense of urgency.
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 23
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 21
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1