Apr 7, 2010, 1:03 PM EST
The Dallas Mavericks are struggling right now, and there’s no way around that. The defense performance hasn’t improved with the additions of Brendan Haywood and Caron Butler, Jason Terry and Butler have each had plenty some trouble with their shooting, and the perimeter defense shifts from passable to deplorable. As of now, it’s not even certain the Mavs would be favored to win a first round series, much less make an extended run in the playoffs.
Dirk Nowitzki doesn’t mind the struggles. From Eddie Sefko of the Dallas Morning News:
when [Nowitzki] analyzed their situation – which has included three weeks of
uneven, perhaps even sub-par, play – he saw a reason not for panic, but
In fact, he loves what he sees, which is
five regular-season games that will be packed with pressure to perform.
“I always liked having something to play for at the end,
having a good rhythm going into the playoffs and not have the seeding
already done a month before and coast through,” he said. “So for me,
it’s another perfect year, just like last year.”
You can’t blame Dirk for taking such a stance; the alternative strategy of coming into the playoffs at a walk and resting starters is considered to be one of the factors in 2007 that led to the Golden State Warriors’ epic first-round upset over Dallas. Needless to say those weren’t exactly fond memories for Nowitzki.
That obviously doesn’t mean Dallas won’t try to right the ship over their last five games. They have a lot they’d like to accomplish before the sun sets on the regular season, and maybe an incredibly abbreviated timeline will motivate a team that’s lacked a sense of urgency.
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 13
- LeBron James likely to start at center for Eastern Conference All-Stars 6
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 11
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 6
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 30
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (46)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)