Apr 7, 2010, 10:58 PM EDT
You know, the script says I’m supposed to drop some sort of snarky reference to the lack of defense of the Golden State Warriors, and really any team in Don Nelson’s past. The script says I should make a crack about the Timberwolves (and trust me, I want to, it’s easy, and fun!).
But the fact is that after tonight’s Warriors win over the Wolves, Don Nelson has won more games in history of the National Basketball Association than any other person. And that’s a feat worth respecting.
The Warriors won behind solid, fundamental basketball behind a stout defensiv…sorry. Old habits.
Nelson’s been adamant about just wanting this record over with, and now he’s got it. He can just go back to doing what he does, which is how he got here in the first place.
The Frank Sinatra song “My Way” is cliche, but painfully apt here. Nelson has gotten here, despite his self-sabotage throughout his career, and he’s done it with little compromise. He’s still taking his players to the bar, still preaching his brand of offense-centric ball, and still burning bridges along the way.
You don’t have to like how Don Nelson has amassed more wins than any coach in NBA history, but you have to respect that he got there on his terms.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 0
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 0
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 26
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 24
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (90)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris