Apr 7, 2010, 1:47 PM EST
Yesterday, our own John Krolik talked about the dark side of the draft, the side of big egos and bad advice and kids jumping into the draft when they are not ready.
Meet Lance Stephenson, the Cincinnati shooting guard who has decided to go one-and-done and declare for the NBA draft. The University of Cincinnati has said that Stephenson is signing with an agent, so there is no going back. He is all in.
DraftExpress.com founder and guru Jonathan Givony summed up the general feeling of people we talked to in this tweet:
Don’t get why Lance Stephenson reversed course and decided to enter. He had a very underwhelming season and has zero buzz right now.
Stephenson averaged 12.3 points per game but on a very pedestrian 44 percent shooting from the field. And he hit just 21.9 percent from the college three — you don’t get to play much two guard in the NBA unless you can bury that shot regularly from the NBA distance. The book on him says he can’t shoot at near an NBA level.
He has an NBA body, can get to and finish at the rim, and he was a high school legend in Brooklyn. There are some that think he could slip into the late first round, but they are in the minority.
The big question is his the ego. Coming out of high school he faced sexual assault charges, appeared at camps overweight and was known for a bad attitude. That seemed to clear up at Cincinnati, but teams want to see more than one good year before they take a risk like this. He’ll get a look, and if he busts it may be a second round pick. But he’s going to have to earn his way on to an NBA roster with better play than he has shown.
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 5
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 1
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 5
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 1
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 7
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 25
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 11