Apr 7, 2010, 1:47 PM EDT
Yesterday, our own John Krolik talked about the dark side of the draft, the side of big egos and bad advice and kids jumping into the draft when they are not ready.
Meet Lance Stephenson, the Cincinnati shooting guard who has decided to go one-and-done and declare for the NBA draft. The University of Cincinnati has said that Stephenson is signing with an agent, so there is no going back. He is all in.
DraftExpress.com founder and guru Jonathan Givony summed up the general feeling of people we talked to in this tweet:
Don’t get why Lance Stephenson reversed course and decided to enter. He had a very underwhelming season and has zero buzz right now.
Stephenson averaged 12.3 points per game but on a very pedestrian 44 percent shooting from the field. And he hit just 21.9 percent from the college three — you don’t get to play much two guard in the NBA unless you can bury that shot regularly from the NBA distance. The book on him says he can’t shoot at near an NBA level.
He has an NBA body, can get to and finish at the rim, and he was a high school legend in Brooklyn. There are some that think he could slip into the late first round, but they are in the minority.
The big question is his the ego. Coming out of high school he faced sexual assault charges, appeared at camps overweight and was known for a bad attitude. That seemed to clear up at Cincinnati, but teams want to see more than one good year before they take a risk like this. He’ll get a look, and if he busts it may be a second round pick. But he’s going to have to earn his way on to an NBA roster with better play than he has shown.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 23
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15