Apr 6, 2010, 8:59 AM EDT
It was everybody’s favorite bit of speculation candy yesterday — incoming Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov was going to make Mike Krzyzewski an offer he couldn’t refuse. Some NBA executive told the Bergen Record this.
Two little flaws. First Krzyzewski was quick to take time out of preparing his team to win the NCAA title — by the thinnest of margins — to shoot down the rumor. In direct terms. Not interested, not kidding.
Second, nobody bothered to ask the Nets about this. Well, the New York Post did:
Multiple sources throughout the Nets organization insisted they were unaware of such an offer being prepared for Coach K and had heard nothing about the proposal, which one source called “speculative.” (Current Nets general manager Rod) Thorn, who expects to be able to pick the coach when he officially is retained — a move that is anticipated but has not been finalized — said he has had no conversations with Krzyzewski.
“I have never talked to Mike about the position,” Thorn said. “Anybody looking to hire a coach, I’m sure would have Mike near the very top of the list.”
By all accounts, Prokhorov is a guy who brings in his executives, hires good people, then stays out of their way. Soon after Prokhorov is approved to be the Nets owner on April 16, Thorn is expected to get an extension. He has met with the man.
Right now, rumors swirl around the Nets like bees around the hive. How much of this is idle speculation and how much of it comes from people who actually have knowledge of the inner workings of Prokhorov and his team is unknown. But either this is a brilliant business strategist who is randomly grasping for a plan with the Nets, or a lot of people who have little or no direct knowledge are making crap up.
Who knows where the NBA executive who “leaked” the story to the Bergen Record falls on that scale, but we have a guess. Welcome to the time of year when you need to read rumors, find the source and think, “what is their motive?” Because nobody tells a reporter something controversial just because they like them, there is always a motive.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 62
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31