Apr 6, 2010, 7:16 PM EDT
You can add this line to the scouting report for the Lakers in the playoffs: “Give Shannon Brown room to shoot from the perimeter.”
Back on March 2 Brown tried to block a Dahntay Jones dunk and in the process got a bone bruise and a torn thumb ligament in his right hand, he told the Los Angeles Times. Since then, his shooting percentage is down 10 points to 35.5 percent. (Although, oddly, March was his best shooting month from three, at 36 percent).
And yes, it hurts.
“Every block, every steal, every dunk, it’s painful. I just try to lose myself in a game when I’m out there playing,” he said. “I can’t worry about it. Hopefully, when it does get a chance to heal, it heals up well and I won’t have to have surgery.”
He went Kobe and tried to adjust how he shot the ball. But, well, he is not Kobe so it hasn’t gone as smoothly.
Hand surgery would not be ideal for someone expected to be a free agent this summer. Brown has a $2.1 million player option for next year, but he has long thought he could do better on the open market and was expected to test those waters.
- Spurs/Grizzlies preview: Game 2 will be closer, but will that be enough for Memphis? 0
- Report: Dwight Howard told Lakers GM he was frustrated with D’Antoni 23
- Durant, Thunder players tweet out support for Oklahoma City 6
- Brothers allege entourage of Damian Lillard beat them for taking his picture 18
- Amar’e Stoudemire still thinks Knicks’ front court trio can work 17
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (119)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (73)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay