Apr 6, 2010, 9:22 AM EDT
Remember the cries: Nate Robinson is the answer. He is going to give the Celtics bench the spark it was lacking. The man can score in bunches. Defense and offensive system be damned. This was the man the Celtics needed. Celtics nation rejoiced when he was pried out of New York.
Today’s reality is that leading into the playoffs, Robinson barely sees the court. Same with Marquis Daniels. The Boston Globe got Doc Rivers to comment, and he put the coach’s spin on it.
Daniels and Robinson have essentially been replaced by Tony Allen and Michael Finley and it’s a disappointing outcome considering the Celtics counted on both players to produce when they were acquired.
“Their role is to work every day in practice but there will be a day or a time you’re gonna need them,” Rivers said. “Somebody will get in foul trouble or someone may not be playing well. Yeah right now they are (out of the rotation). But that doesn’t mean they won’t be back in it.”
Robinson is what we thought he was — a high volume shooter. A gunner. He shot just 38.8 percent for the Celtics (although a respectable 41.8 percent from three). Some nights he couldn’t miss and filled it up. Other nights he tried to shoot himself out of a slump. Nothing new. His stripes did not change. Don’t expect him to play the man-up defense the Celtics live by, he was there to score.
Was. That is the key word. As the rotations tighten heading into the playoffs, Robinson will play less and less, which would be hard right now.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 23
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 32
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 5
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 1
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 10
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 7
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31