Apr 6, 2010, 9:22 AM EDT
Remember the cries: Nate Robinson is the answer. He is going to give the Celtics bench the spark it was lacking. The man can score in bunches. Defense and offensive system be damned. This was the man the Celtics needed. Celtics nation rejoiced when he was pried out of New York.
Today’s reality is that leading into the playoffs, Robinson barely sees the court. Same with Marquis Daniels. The Boston Globe got Doc Rivers to comment, and he put the coach’s spin on it.
Daniels and Robinson have essentially been replaced by Tony Allen and Michael Finley and it’s a disappointing outcome considering the Celtics counted on both players to produce when they were acquired.
“Their role is to work every day in practice but there will be a day or a time you’re gonna need them,” Rivers said. “Somebody will get in foul trouble or someone may not be playing well. Yeah right now they are (out of the rotation). But that doesn’t mean they won’t be back in it.”
Robinson is what we thought he was — a high volume shooter. A gunner. He shot just 38.8 percent for the Celtics (although a respectable 41.8 percent from three). Some nights he couldn’t miss and filled it up. Other nights he tried to shoot himself out of a slump. Nothing new. His stripes did not change. Don’t expect him to play the man-up defense the Celtics live by, he was there to score.
Was. That is the key word. As the rotations tighten heading into the playoffs, Robinson will play less and less, which would be hard right now.
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 0
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 29
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9