Apr 6, 2010, 9:22 AM EDT
Remember the cries: Nate Robinson is the answer. He is going to give the Celtics bench the spark it was lacking. The man can score in bunches. Defense and offensive system be damned. This was the man the Celtics needed. Celtics nation rejoiced when he was pried out of New York.
Today’s reality is that leading into the playoffs, Robinson barely sees the court. Same with Marquis Daniels. The Boston Globe got Doc Rivers to comment, and he put the coach’s spin on it.
Daniels and Robinson have essentially been replaced by Tony Allen and Michael Finley and it’s a disappointing outcome considering the Celtics counted on both players to produce when they were acquired.
“Their role is to work every day in practice but there will be a day or a time you’re gonna need them,” Rivers said. “Somebody will get in foul trouble or someone may not be playing well. Yeah right now they are (out of the rotation). But that doesn’t mean they won’t be back in it.”
Robinson is what we thought he was — a high volume shooter. A gunner. He shot just 38.8 percent for the Celtics (although a respectable 41.8 percent from three). Some nights he couldn’t miss and filled it up. Other nights he tried to shoot himself out of a slump. Nothing new. His stripes did not change. Don’t expect him to play the man-up defense the Celtics live by, he was there to score.
Was. That is the key word. As the rotations tighten heading into the playoffs, Robinson will play less and less, which would be hard right now.
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 5
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 21
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 21
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 7
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65
- LeBron announces he’ll wear No. 23 with Cavaliers 64