Apr 6, 2010, 1:37 PM EDT
There is nothing new in Rudy Fernandez not being happy in Portland. He wasn’t happy when our own Matt Moore was writing about him in February. He’s not happy now when Kerry Eggers of the Portland Tribune is talking to him now.
Fernandez is an athletic two guard who should be allowed to run free, but is stuck in the dragged-out half-court game of the Trail Blazers. Stuck on the bench. He feels isolated, has no close friends on the team and just wants a chance to play. When he does get some burn, he reminds you that he is a good player that should be getting more minutes. Somewhere.
The talk about returning to play in Spain is nothing new, either. Specifically powerhouse Real Madrid. But Eggers asks an interesting question:
Would Real Madrid do the opposite of what so many NBA teams have done and be willing to buy out his contract?
It’s not uncommon for an NBA team to have to pay a foreign team with the rights to a player to get him released from a contract. That is the way of European sports leagues. But the reverse is very uncommon.
Is it worth a few million to Real Madrid to get him now rather than later? Would Portland be willing to let him go?
In a summer where bigger names will get bigger headlines, this could be an interesting little sub-plot.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 4
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (98)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'