Apr 6, 2010, 1:57 PM EDT
Yesterday our own Ira Winderman said shame on the Hall of Fame for not having Don Nelson in it.
Today, Nelson said pretty much the same thing to ESPN’s Marc Stein (in a fantastic and wide-ranging interview). Particularly if they vote him in next year just for getting the all-time coaching wins record after skipping him for a number of years.
“If I don’t get it at whatever the number was when the season started [1,309], but then I did get in because I got to 1,333, shame on them. A few games shouldn’t make a difference. If that’s the thing that gets you to the Hall of Fame, shame on them.”
Not that Nelson cares that much.
“When I first had the chance to go in, I was kind of excited, but now that I’ve been skipped a few times, it’s not that important to me anymore. My life is going to go on. The way I look at the Hall of Fame, it’s for greatness and that ain’t me.”
It’s for innovators, and that is him. It’s for winners, and that is him. Nobody, not Nelson himself, is saying he is the best coach ever. But by any reasonable measure, the man is a Hall of Famer. Without a doubt. Not sure how he got skipped over that much.
Shame on them.
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 0
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 28
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games