Apr 5, 2010, 4:03 PM EDT
UPDATE 4:01 pm: Because he’s got nothing better to do today, Mike Krzyzewski addressed the Nets rumors again. This time, he tried to end this by being definitive. From the AP:
Krzyzewski said through a spokesman he hasn’t been contacted by the Nets
and “wouldn’t have any interest in the job.”
“You would be flattered if someone would offer you a job, but I would
not be interested,” Krzyzewski said Monday.
9: 37 am: Mike Krzyzewski has said he doesn’t want the job. He tells everyone who asks he has no intention of leaving Duke.
Yet the Nets are not giving up. At least that is according to Al Iannazzone of the Bergen Record.
Incoming billionaire owner Mikhail Prokhorov is prepared to make Krzyzewski an offer that would be difficult to refuse, league sources said.
Krzyzewski turned down a five-year, $40 million offer to coach Kobe Bryant and the Lakers in 2004. The Nets’ offer likely will be between $12 million and $15 million per season for Krzyzewski to be their coach and perhaps general manager, a source said.
Let us quickly remember the last time Coach K. discussed this, back a couple months ago. What did he say again? Oh, yea…
“No one’s contacted me. If they do, I think ‘nyet’ would be easy for me to say.”
Apparently not a lot of people tell Prokhorov nyet.
But he’s almost certain to here it here. If Krzyzewski had the passion to move on to the NBA, it would have happened already. But at Duke he makes good money and is treated like a deity. He gets to coach all those pros on Team USA in exotic locals like Istanbul and London. He gets a revered status where he can be above it all. Not down in the muck on a Tuesday night road game in February in Minnesota.
Then again, if this report is right, (can we trust a rumor where the anonymous source is a rival team’s executive?), saying he will turn down $15 million a year is easier said than done. And it’s not easy to say. That kind of money buys a lot of bacon double cheeseburgers.
- Tony Parker, Spurs penetration is puzzle Grizzlies can’t solve 0
- Spurs take commanding 3-0 lead over Grizzlies with overtime win in Game 3 6
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 35
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?