Apr 5, 2010, 4:03 PM EDT
UPDATE 4:01 pm: Because he’s got nothing better to do today, Mike Krzyzewski addressed the Nets rumors again. This time, he tried to end this by being definitive. From the AP:
Krzyzewski said through a spokesman he hasn’t been contacted by the Nets
and “wouldn’t have any interest in the job.”
“You would be flattered if someone would offer you a job, but I would
not be interested,” Krzyzewski said Monday.
9: 37 am: Mike Krzyzewski has said he doesn’t want the job. He tells everyone who asks he has no intention of leaving Duke.
Yet the Nets are not giving up. At least that is according to Al Iannazzone of the Bergen Record.
Incoming billionaire owner Mikhail Prokhorov is prepared to make Krzyzewski an offer that would be difficult to refuse, league sources said.
Krzyzewski turned down a five-year, $40 million offer to coach Kobe Bryant and the Lakers in 2004. The Nets’ offer likely will be between $12 million and $15 million per season for Krzyzewski to be their coach and perhaps general manager, a source said.
Let us quickly remember the last time Coach K. discussed this, back a couple months ago. What did he say again? Oh, yea…
“No one’s contacted me. If they do, I think ‘nyet’ would be easy for me to say.”
Apparently not a lot of people tell Prokhorov nyet.
But he’s almost certain to here it here. If Krzyzewski had the passion to move on to the NBA, it would have happened already. But at Duke he makes good money and is treated like a deity. He gets to coach all those pros on Team USA in exotic locals like Istanbul and London. He gets a revered status where he can be above it all. Not down in the muck on a Tuesday night road game in February in Minnesota.
Then again, if this report is right, (can we trust a rumor where the anonymous source is a rival team’s executive?), saying he will turn down $15 million a year is easier said than done. And it’s not easy to say. That kind of money buys a lot of bacon double cheeseburgers.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 8
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 42
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11