Apr 5, 2010, 10:20 PM EDT
The Clippers fired Mike Dunleavy as both coach and general manager, paving the way for a new direction. They have cleared out cap space so they could bring in a star to go with a pretty good core. They get Blake Griffin back next year.
Any time you think, “hey, maybe the Clippers are turning the corner…”
To the surprise of absolutely no one who’s paid attention over the years, you can expect Mike Dunleavy to have to take Donald Sterling to court in order to get all of the remaining $5.4 million he’s owed on his contract. A source reveals that the Clippers owner is balking at writing the check he owes Dunleavy after firing him in February.
Unfortunately, this isn’t the first time a coach removed by Sterling has had to seek redress in the courts; both Bill Fitch and Bob Weiss had to go that route after being dismissed. The Clippers actually sued Fitch after firing him, claiming he was content to take the team’s money without looking for another head coaching job quickly enough. Sterling’s deposition in the Fitch case was obtained by the Boston Globe, which reported that Sterling a) claimed he had nothing to do with firing Fitch, b) had no role in drafting or signing players, and c) had no idea what a guaranteed contract was.
That is from the gossip rag NBA.com, written by David Aldridge.
This is certainly going to help in attracting top quality candidates during the coaching search.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6