Apr 5, 2010, 10:20 PM EST
The Clippers fired Mike Dunleavy as both coach and general manager, paving the way for a new direction. They have cleared out cap space so they could bring in a star to go with a pretty good core. They get Blake Griffin back next year.
Any time you think, “hey, maybe the Clippers are turning the corner…”
To the surprise of absolutely no one who’s paid attention over the years, you can expect Mike Dunleavy to have to take Donald Sterling to court in order to get all of the remaining $5.4 million he’s owed on his contract. A source reveals that the Clippers owner is balking at writing the check he owes Dunleavy after firing him in February.
Unfortunately, this isn’t the first time a coach removed by Sterling has had to seek redress in the courts; both Bill Fitch and Bob Weiss had to go that route after being dismissed. The Clippers actually sued Fitch after firing him, claiming he was content to take the team’s money without looking for another head coaching job quickly enough. Sterling’s deposition in the Fitch case was obtained by the Boston Globe, which reported that Sterling a) claimed he had nothing to do with firing Fitch, b) had no role in drafting or signing players, and c) had no idea what a guaranteed contract was.
That is from the gossip rag NBA.com, written by David Aldridge.
This is certainly going to help in attracting top quality candidates during the coaching search.
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 2
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 11
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 23
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 12
- The Extra Pass: Chemistry clicking in Denver as Nuggets beat Nets to win seventh straight, and Tuesday’s recaps 2
- Kobe Bryant takes to Twitter to defend his contract extension (100)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (53)
- John Wall: ‘I’m the best point guard in the league’ (45)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)