Apr 5, 2010, 10:20 PM EDT
The Clippers fired Mike Dunleavy as both coach and general manager, paving the way for a new direction. They have cleared out cap space so they could bring in a star to go with a pretty good core. They get Blake Griffin back next year.
Any time you think, “hey, maybe the Clippers are turning the corner…”
To the surprise of absolutely no one who’s paid attention over the years, you can expect Mike Dunleavy to have to take Donald Sterling to court in order to get all of the remaining $5.4 million he’s owed on his contract. A source reveals that the Clippers owner is balking at writing the check he owes Dunleavy after firing him in February.
Unfortunately, this isn’t the first time a coach removed by Sterling has had to seek redress in the courts; both Bill Fitch and Bob Weiss had to go that route after being dismissed. The Clippers actually sued Fitch after firing him, claiming he was content to take the team’s money without looking for another head coaching job quickly enough. Sterling’s deposition in the Fitch case was obtained by the Boston Globe, which reported that Sterling a) claimed he had nothing to do with firing Fitch, b) had no role in drafting or signing players, and c) had no idea what a guaranteed contract was.
That is from the gossip rag NBA.com, written by David Aldridge.
This is certainly going to help in attracting top quality candidates during the coaching search.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 4
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (96)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'