Apr 5, 2010, 10:20 PM EDT
The Clippers fired Mike Dunleavy as both coach and general manager, paving the way for a new direction. They have cleared out cap space so they could bring in a star to go with a pretty good core. They get Blake Griffin back next year.
Any time you think, “hey, maybe the Clippers are turning the corner…”
To the surprise of absolutely no one who’s paid attention over the years, you can expect Mike Dunleavy to have to take Donald Sterling to court in order to get all of the remaining $5.4 million he’s owed on his contract. A source reveals that the Clippers owner is balking at writing the check he owes Dunleavy after firing him in February.
Unfortunately, this isn’t the first time a coach removed by Sterling has had to seek redress in the courts; both Bill Fitch and Bob Weiss had to go that route after being dismissed. The Clippers actually sued Fitch after firing him, claiming he was content to take the team’s money without looking for another head coaching job quickly enough. Sterling’s deposition in the Fitch case was obtained by the Boston Globe, which reported that Sterling a) claimed he had nothing to do with firing Fitch, b) had no role in drafting or signing players, and c) had no idea what a guaranteed contract was.
That is from the gossip rag NBA.com, written by David Aldridge.
This is certainly going to help in attracting top quality candidates during the coaching search.
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 24
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 15
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 46
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 21
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Serena Williams sorry after rape case comments
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record