Apr 5, 2010, 1:36 PM EDT
Well, what do you know. Maybe the basketball Hall of Fame is starting to get things right. There’s a long, long way to go, but at least new head honcho Jerry Colangelo has gotten the Hall to take the first step.
Monday saw the press conference to official announce the 2010 class for the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. No big surprises, we knew most of the names on the list already, but there were some very good signs.
Bulls legend Scotty Pippen and the Utah Jazz’s Karl Malone headline the class. They were no brainers. And there are few things I’m looking forward to more than Malone’s acceptance speech all in the third person.
Also in are two teams, the 1960 USA Men’s Olympic team and the 1992 USA Basketball “Dream Team” (which featured Malone and Pippen, lest you forget). Again, probably should have happened sooner but at least it happened now. Jerry Buss got in, as was expected and deserved. WNBA legend Cynthia Cooper and famed high school coach Bob Hurley Sr. also are on the list.
Maybe the best part is that some overlooked guys — Dennis Johnson and Gus Johnson — will get there day, as will international star Maciel “Ubiratan” Pereira. All three of them have passed, but including them now is sort of like the Hall starting to admit it has screwed up in the past. It’s small steps, change is coming at about the same pace as the Vatican welcomes it, but it is coming.
What would be a nice next step – transparent voting. Like finding out who is voting, for one. Who they are voting for would be nice, too, frankly.
But at least things are starting to look a little better.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 13
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 32
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28