Apr 5, 2010, 12:25 PM EST
We’ve discussed this before — West Virginia’s Da’Sean Butler ripped up his ACL in the NCAA semi-finals, and that is just bad for a draft prospect. Bad for Butler, because he is now very unlikely to get drafted.
But he will still get a shot, said Joe Treutlein, Assistant Director of Scouting for DraftExpress.com.
While there were varying opinions among scouts on Butler, most had him going in the second round, if he got drafted at all. But teams still want to see him, Treutlein said.
“If he’s in playing shape by the time summer league comes around, I’m sure teams will give him a chance,” Treutlein said. “And if not this offseason, he’ll get chances next offseason or as a call-up midseason.”
He ads that some teams considered Butler a potential second round steal, so while they may not draft him now, they’ll be watching. Butler, at 6’7″, is a three in a traditional NBA system but could play the four for a team that wants to go small and run. He has some post moves, and on the wing is most comfortable as a catch-and-shoot guy, and if you can knock down the shot there is certainly demand for that in the Association.
About 20 percent of the players currently in the NBA went undrafted. It can be done, it has been done, it will be done again. But like those guys, Butler is going to have to prove he belongs by really earning a look with his play in the summer and likely the D-League. A few more hurdles were just thrown out on the track, but at least Butler will have the chance to clear them.
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 14
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 9
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 50
- LeBron James out Wednesday vs. Blazers with wrist injury 6
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 18
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 17
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 28