Apr 5, 2010, 12:25 PM EDT
We’ve discussed this before — West Virginia’s Da’Sean Butler ripped up his ACL in the NCAA semi-finals, and that is just bad for a draft prospect. Bad for Butler, because he is now very unlikely to get drafted.
But he will still get a shot, said Joe Treutlein, Assistant Director of Scouting for DraftExpress.com.
While there were varying opinions among scouts on Butler, most had him going in the second round, if he got drafted at all. But teams still want to see him, Treutlein said.
“If he’s in playing shape by the time summer league comes around, I’m sure teams will give him a chance,” Treutlein said. “And if not this offseason, he’ll get chances next offseason or as a call-up midseason.”
He ads that some teams considered Butler a potential second round steal, so while they may not draft him now, they’ll be watching. Butler, at 6’7″, is a three in a traditional NBA system but could play the four for a team that wants to go small and run. He has some post moves, and on the wing is most comfortable as a catch-and-shoot guy, and if you can knock down the shot there is certainly demand for that in the Association.
About 20 percent of the players currently in the NBA went undrafted. It can be done, it has been done, it will be done again. But like those guys, Butler is going to have to prove he belongs by really earning a look with his play in the summer and likely the D-League. A few more hurdles were just thrown out on the track, but at least Butler will have the chance to clear them.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 0
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48