Apr 5, 2010, 12:25 PM EDT
We’ve discussed this before — West Virginia’s Da’Sean Butler ripped up his ACL in the NCAA semi-finals, and that is just bad for a draft prospect. Bad for Butler, because he is now very unlikely to get drafted.
But he will still get a shot, said Joe Treutlein, Assistant Director of Scouting for DraftExpress.com.
While there were varying opinions among scouts on Butler, most had him going in the second round, if he got drafted at all. But teams still want to see him, Treutlein said.
“If he’s in playing shape by the time summer league comes around, I’m sure teams will give him a chance,” Treutlein said. “And if not this offseason, he’ll get chances next offseason or as a call-up midseason.”
He ads that some teams considered Butler a potential second round steal, so while they may not draft him now, they’ll be watching. Butler, at 6’7″, is a three in a traditional NBA system but could play the four for a team that wants to go small and run. He has some post moves, and on the wing is most comfortable as a catch-and-shoot guy, and if you can knock down the shot there is certainly demand for that in the Association.
About 20 percent of the players currently in the NBA went undrafted. It can be done, it has been done, it will be done again. But like those guys, Butler is going to have to prove he belongs by really earning a look with his play in the summer and likely the D-League. A few more hurdles were just thrown out on the track, but at least Butler will have the chance to clear them.
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 6
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 16
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 7
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 13
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 100
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (101)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'