Apr 5, 2010, 12:25 PM EDT
We’ve discussed this before — West Virginia’s Da’Sean Butler ripped up his ACL in the NCAA semi-finals, and that is just bad for a draft prospect. Bad for Butler, because he is now very unlikely to get drafted.
But he will still get a shot, said Joe Treutlein, Assistant Director of Scouting for DraftExpress.com.
While there were varying opinions among scouts on Butler, most had him going in the second round, if he got drafted at all. But teams still want to see him, Treutlein said.
“If he’s in playing shape by the time summer league comes around, I’m sure teams will give him a chance,” Treutlein said. “And if not this offseason, he’ll get chances next offseason or as a call-up midseason.”
He ads that some teams considered Butler a potential second round steal, so while they may not draft him now, they’ll be watching. Butler, at 6’7″, is a three in a traditional NBA system but could play the four for a team that wants to go small and run. He has some post moves, and on the wing is most comfortable as a catch-and-shoot guy, and if you can knock down the shot there is certainly demand for that in the Association.
About 20 percent of the players currently in the NBA went undrafted. It can be done, it has been done, it will be done again. But like those guys, Butler is going to have to prove he belongs by really earning a look with his play in the summer and likely the D-League. A few more hurdles were just thrown out on the track, but at least Butler will have the chance to clear them.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 2
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 47
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 32
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61