Apr 4, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
Sacramento’s Spencer Hawes is out for the season with another injury to the same knee he had surgery on. He’s probably not going to get a big payday this summer. He’s going to have to fight for his staring job next season.
But at least he doesn’t have to have surgery again.
That’s the news that came out after a visit to the doctor, via the Sacramento Bee.
“I talked to Spencer (on Saturday), and they don’t feel he needs to have surgery,” Kings coach Paul Westphal said. “It’s a rest-and-rehab thing rather than surgery is the way they look at it.”
Hawes visited Dr. Lawrence Holland in Seattle for a second opinion on his knee Friday. Holland performed arthroscopic surgery on Hawes’ left knee in 2007 before his rookie season and a microfracture procedure when he was 14.
Microfracture surgery at 14? Should have added that to the first paragraph list of woes.
Hawes is still out the rest of the season and will rehab all summer. Jason Thompson took advantage of Hawes’ absence last night to score 18 points on 9 of 12 shooting. Did we mention Hawes needs to get healthy so he can compete for his starting job next season?
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 0
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 10
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (93)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights