Apr 3, 2010, 10:30 AM EST
David Lee is one of the polarizing guys for barstool pundits in the NBA. Half the people think he can’t defend, has benefited from Mike D’Antoni’s run and gun (even if the pace-factored stats suggest otherwise), and simply isn’t that good. His supporters think that he possesses a unique set of skills you rarely see in the league.
The debate will continue this summer when Lee is an unrestricted free agent (again). But Lee’s agent got a mighty big highlight clip to throw at teams last night.
Take that ability augmented by D’Antoni’s offense and stir in a dash of Golden State’s horrific defense? You’ve got a recipe for history.
Lee went off for 37 points, 20 rebounds, and 10 assists in a loss(!) to the Warriors last night.
Let that sink in for a second.
It was the first time since the ABA Merger in 1976 to score 37, grab 20 boards, and dish 10 dimes. I don’t care who that is, that’s an impressive triple double. Think of all the amazing players we’ve seen since the merger. No one has done what Lee did last night. And it was wasted in a loss. At some point you have to get past context and pace and recognize something, though. There’s no way Lee’s performance last night didn’t help the Knicks. He just needs to wind up on a team where he can contribute to a winner.
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 1
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 2
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 8
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 8
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)