Apr 2, 2010, 9:32 AM EDT
Everyone talks about rebuilding being a process, how you have to be patient. You have to build from the ground up and that takes time. You can’t just instantly build an NBA champion… unless you’re Danny Ainge.
Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor has been patient. And he told the Pioneer Press he’s pretty sick of it.
“(President) David Kahn and the coaches asked me to be patient this year,” Wolves owner Glen Taylor said this morning.
Taylor’s patience will end April 14, when the Wolves play their season finale against the Detroit Pistons at Target Center.
“We’re going to start meeting immediately at the end of the season to put the opportunities in place to improve this team next year,” Taylor said. “We have a lot of them. We have the opportunities for our draft (currently three first-round picks); we’ll see what (lottery) positions we get. We’ll have the opportunity to look at other players, and possibly trades if we feel that will help our team.”
Next season Minnesota should be better, in that it would be hard to be much worse. Adding three rookies — even very talented ones — is rarely the recipe for instant success. What will be especially fun is when the Timberwolves win the lottery and draft John Wall, because what this team needs is another young point guard.
The Timberwolves have some nice young pieces in place — Al Jefferson, Kevin Love, and of course the wealth of point guards such as Johnny Flynn and the rights still to European sensation Ricky Rubio.
Right now the team’s talent does not fit well with the triangle offense coach Kurt Rambis is trying to install (Flynn is not a triangle point guard, neither is Rubio, and Wall would be wasted in the system if that were to happen). The Timberwolves need more talent first and foremost. But they also need to figure out how to best use it. Right now neither is happening.
But right now, everybody is still patient. That is about to change.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29