Apr 2, 2010, 1:07 PM EDT
LeBron James is too busy. Dwyane Wade has a lot of personal stuff going on. A number of other top NBA players are questioning if they want to play in the FIBA World Championships this summer in Turkey.
Jerry Colangelo, president of USA Basketball, has stepped in to play stern parent. You want the pudding of the 2012 London Olympics, you’ve got to eat your meat at the FIBA event, he told FanHouse.
How can you have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat?
“There are no free tickets to London,” said Colangelo, who announced a working 27-man roster in February with the thinking those players would commit to this year’s World Championships and the 2012 Olympics, with the additional possibility players might be needed for a 2011 Olympic qualifying tournament if Team USA doesn’t mine gold in Turkey. “That doesn’t mean nobody could (return to the team) if they didn’t participate (in Turkey). It all depends on the reason. We’ve taken into account players have personal lives.”
To recap: Recovering from injury, good excuse not to play. Serious personal issues like a nasty divorce, maybe. Making a movie… not so much.
James can play in London if he wants because he has put in a lot of past time with Team USA, he has sweat equity. That and he’s the best player on the planet.
But there are just a couple players who get to call their own shots on this (Kobe Bryant being the other). Everybody else has to eat their meat.
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars