Apr 2, 2010, 10:10 AM EDT
Dwyane Wade is in the middle of a messy divorce and custody battle. It would be the messiest divorce in sports right now if it were not for the Dodger-owning McCourts setting a really unattainable, Jordanesque standard.
Wade insists that the bitter battle with his ex-wife over their children will not spill onto the court. Since this divorce has been dragging out for a couple of years while Wade has put up monster numbers, he’s probably right.
But it may keep him off Team USA this summer, he told the Miami Herald.
“That’s the case,” Wade said as the Heat prepared for Friday’s game against the Indiana Pacers. “My kids. This is the most important thing to me. Basketball is going to be there. So if I’m not able to compete this summer, I think everyone will understand the reason behind it.”
Everyone things of LeBron James, or Kobe Bryant taking over during the Gold Medal game, but Wade led Team USA in scoring during the last Olympics.
LeBron James has already said he may not play because he is one busy man. The fact that they are both LeBron and Wade are big free agents this summer with big decisions on their future to make has nothing to do with skipping out on Team USA. Nope. Nothing. Not a thing. Don’t think for a minute that it does.
Who will be there in Vegas for training camp could be interesting. Kobe has hinted he may take the summer off to rest from finger injuries, while Deron Williams said he is in. Plenty of others are on the fence. Apparently vacationing in Turkey for a few weeks not going over big with the NBA elite.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 26
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 13
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 19
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games