Apr 2, 2010, 10:56 AM EDT
Antawn Jamison is a pretty good free throw shooting big man, a career 73 percent shooter from the stripe.
At least he was until he got to Cleveland at the trade deadline. Since then he is shooting 45 percent. And he told Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer he knows how to change that — shut his brain off.
“Believe me, I’ve been thinking about it too much. That’s the reason why I think I’m in the situation I’m in right now. I’ve just got to put it behind me. The thing I’m doing to try to get over it is not dwell on it. I know I’m a better free-throw shooter than what I’ve been showing here lately.”
It may be less the thinking and something more in the water of the recently returned drinking fountains in Quicken Loans Arena, because the Cavaliers as a team suck at free throws. Worse than your high school team suck.
The Cavaliers are making 72.1 percent of their free throws as a team — dead last in the NBA. The concern is that come a tight playoff game, they will lose because of missed free throws down the stretch. Shaquille O’Neal has never shot free throws well and has brought that tradition to Cleveland at 49.6 percent. So Hack-a-Shaq could be in play. Anderson Varejao, Daniel Gibson and JJ Hickson are also under 70 percent.
But they all they have to do is stop thinking.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 61
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 12
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32