Apr 2, 2010, 10:56 AM EDT
Antawn Jamison is a pretty good free throw shooting big man, a career 73 percent shooter from the stripe.
At least he was until he got to Cleveland at the trade deadline. Since then he is shooting 45 percent. And he told Brian Windhorst of the Cleveland Plain Dealer he knows how to change that — shut his brain off.
“Believe me, I’ve been thinking about it too much. That’s the reason why I think I’m in the situation I’m in right now. I’ve just got to put it behind me. The thing I’m doing to try to get over it is not dwell on it. I know I’m a better free-throw shooter than what I’ve been showing here lately.”
It may be less the thinking and something more in the water of the recently returned drinking fountains in Quicken Loans Arena, because the Cavaliers as a team suck at free throws. Worse than your high school team suck.
The Cavaliers are making 72.1 percent of their free throws as a team — dead last in the NBA. The concern is that come a tight playoff game, they will lose because of missed free throws down the stretch. Shaquille O’Neal has never shot free throws well and has brought that tradition to Cleveland at 49.6 percent. So Hack-a-Shaq could be in play. Anderson Varejao, Daniel Gibson and JJ Hickson are also under 70 percent.
But they all they have to do is stop thinking.
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 11
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 38
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 2
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 22
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 100
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 11
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 78
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 27