Tracy McGrady says he'd like to go back to Orlando

Apr 1, 2010, 9:10 AM EDT

Thumbnail image for mcgrady_Knick.jpgTracy McGrady wants an NBA job next year. A good one. Ideally as the revered veteran who adds experience and a little spark to a title contender. That would get him a ring and an ego boost — two birds, one stone.

So sure, he likes the idea of playing for his hometown Orlando next year, as he told the New York Post. And anyone else that would listen.

“Of course because it’s home, that’s home,” McGrady said yesterday before the Knicks’ 118-90 loss to the Blazers at Rose Garden. “I hated it that I left. I hated I left because I established myself there and made a name for myself. It was a situation where the GM [John Weisbrod] that was there made a huge mistake…”

“They got him out of there because he was out of his mind,” McGrady said of Weisbrod.

Weisbrod had a little Isiah Thomas in him — trades bad, draft good. He got death threats from Orlando fans over the seven-player McGrady trade and breaking up that team. Then he turned around and drafted Dwight Howard (kind of a gimme in the top spot, unless you loved Emeka Okafor) and he traded in that draft or the rights to Jameer Nelson (trading a future first rounder).

But this is about McGrady. Who would probably love to play in Orlando, but will be reminded that beggars can’t be choosers this summer.

1. Buddy - Apr 1, 2010 at 1:29 PM

We would luv to have you back Tracy,as long as you bring Shaq,Penny,Grant along for the ride

2. Twenson - Apr 1, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Yea Orlando, take him! What a selfish loser this guy McGrady! Check his comments and count the “I”. He will never regain the brief brillance he once had…

3. uncle mento - Apr 2, 2010 at 10:37 AM

Tracy Mcgrady is a loser. He want somebody to win a championship for him. Tracy, play hard in New York and win your own championship. Orlando do not want you.

4. Kevin - Apr 2, 2010 at 3:26 PM

Tracy is always My hero no matter how bad he is at present? Iam pretty sure he will work it out soon…GO Tracy…

5. Kevin - Apr 2, 2010 at 4:19 PM

6. Anonymous - Apr 13, 2010 at 7:11 PM

man u wack ! everytime ppl ask me who my fav. player is and i say T-Mac—- and then they laugh . . . .

7. SMYTH - May 16, 2010 at 11:08 PM

Tracy said he would even be willing to come off the bench for Orlando. So if he’s also willing to accept a modest contract I believe that says a lot about his commitment to the team. For the first time Tracy wouldn’t have to carry the weight of a franchise and he would be rejuvenated playing at home in central Florida and with his cousin Vince.

8. SMYTH - May 16, 2010 at 11:11 PM

9. TONY PAYNE - Jul 8, 2010 at 6:50 PM

If he has the desire and we’ve got the space what’s the problem -personally I think it’s perfect situation him being like someone mentioned before it would be a better version of hedo.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches