Apr 1, 2010, 9:52 AM EDT
Interesting tweet from TrueHoop’s Henry Abbot last night:
R.C. Buford says on TV that the Spurs hope/plan to have Tiago Splitter next year, and that he’s somewhat like Anderson Varejao.
That may be far more hope than plan for the Spurs GM. Unless Splitter wants to play in the NBA so badly he’s willing to take a healthy pay cut.
Splitter, at 6’11″, is widely regarded as the best center playing in Europe right now and he would add another quality big man the Spurs desperately need, not to mention an injection of youth. He would fit well along with Tony Parker and Manu Ginolbili with an inside/outside game. He would be a better Varejao, most likely, with more offensive potential.
But unless the salary cap comes in higher than expected the most the Spurs can offer him this summer is the mid-level exception, so a little more than $5 million, which is less than he’s making now with Tau Ceramica of the Spanish league. So a pay cut this year, then there is a looming lockout for the 2011 season when Splitter could make nothing.
What exactly is his motivation to come to the NBA right now again? But Buford knows, hope is a powerful thing. So he holds it out there for the fan base.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 17
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 8
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 14
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months
- PHT: Canucks reportedly fire Vigneault, assistants