Apr 1, 2010, 9:52 AM EDT
Interesting tweet from TrueHoop’s Henry Abbot last night:
R.C. Buford says on TV that the Spurs hope/plan to have Tiago Splitter next year, and that he’s somewhat like Anderson Varejao.
That may be far more hope than plan for the Spurs GM. Unless Splitter wants to play in the NBA so badly he’s willing to take a healthy pay cut.
Splitter, at 6’11”, is widely regarded as the best center playing in Europe right now and he would add another quality big man the Spurs desperately need, not to mention an injection of youth. He would fit well along with Tony Parker and Manu Ginolbili with an inside/outside game. He would be a better Varejao, most likely, with more offensive potential.
But unless the salary cap comes in higher than expected the most the Spurs can offer him this summer is the mid-level exception, so a little more than $5 million, which is less than he’s making now with Tau Ceramica of the Spanish league. So a pay cut this year, then there is a looming lockout for the 2011 season when Splitter could make nothing.
What exactly is his motivation to come to the NBA right now again? But Buford knows, hope is a powerful thing. So he holds it out there for the fan base.
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 1
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14