Apr 1, 2010, 11:13 AM EDT
When Shaquille O’Neal is motivated, he is still a force of nature. Those moments seem fewer and fewer with each passing year, but they do happen.
And in a sign he is serious about getting another ring — just to piss Kobe off? — the man has been serious about his rehab and now appears ready to return before the end of the season. At least that’s what Shaq told Associated Press.
Looking remarkably fit, O’Neal, who has been out since tearing a ligament in his thumb on Feb. 25 and having surgery, said he plans to resume basketball activities soon. He said his thumb is “good” and that he’s looking forward to getting back on the court. The Cavs had expected O’Neal to miss the remainder of the regular season, but the iconic superstar sounded as if he might be back before the April 14 finale at Atlanta.
“I will be ready,” said O’Neal, who has kept a low profile since getting hurt.
A fit, motivated Shaq would solidify the Cavaliers as favorites for the title. But first, he is going to have to prove at some point he can defend the pick and roll.
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 17
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10