Apr 1, 2010, 11:13 AM EDT
When Shaquille O’Neal is motivated, he is still a force of nature. Those moments seem fewer and fewer with each passing year, but they do happen.
And in a sign he is serious about getting another ring — just to piss Kobe off? — the man has been serious about his rehab and now appears ready to return before the end of the season. At least that’s what Shaq told Associated Press.
Looking remarkably fit, O’Neal, who has been out since tearing a ligament in his thumb on Feb. 25 and having surgery, said he plans to resume basketball activities soon. He said his thumb is “good” and that he’s looking forward to getting back on the court. The Cavs had expected O’Neal to miss the remainder of the regular season, but the iconic superstar sounded as if he might be back before the April 14 finale at Atlanta.
“I will be ready,” said O’Neal, who has kept a low profile since getting hurt.
A fit, motivated Shaq would solidify the Cavaliers as favorites for the title. But first, he is going to have to prove at some point he can defend the pick and roll.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 8
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 43
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 54
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16