Apr 1, 2010, 8:50 AM EST
Reggie Theus killed it in his two years as a college coach at a mid-major school. So he was clearly ready for the jump to NBA head coach — great call there, Maloof brothers. How did that work out for you?
But Theus can coach, and right now he is an assistant on the Minnesota Timberwolves staff (not necessarily a sign that he can coach). Can’t imagine why he’d want to get out of that situation. But apparently he does.
Today, Theus is interviewing for the head-coaching job at DePaul, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune.
“It’s a great city,” said Theus, who with the Bulls and was a NBA rookie the last time DePaul made the Final Four. “I was there when DePaul was good, so I know it’s very capable of being a great program. I know the city of Chicago will support it if you put a good product on the floor.”
Frankly, I’m kind of surprised no college has made a run at Theus sooner. At New Mexico State — not the good basketball college in that state — he took a six-win team the year before he arrived to 16 wins the next year and 25 and an NCAA Tournament bid in two years. He was a coach on the rise, who just got called up a little too far, too fast.
DePaul is a Big East school with a long basketball history, dating back to George Mikan (for you youngsters, one of the NBA’s 50 greatest players). There are currently five DePaul players in the NBA, including Quentin Richardson and Wilson Chandler. This is a good gig. Theus may well be a good fit.
- Report: Sixers a viable trade destination for Omer Asik 8
- Report: Jason Kidd safe as Nets coach until team gets healthy 5
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 25
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 13
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 8
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)