Apr 1, 2010, 9:36 PM EDT
This is the kind of injury that anyone who has slept wrong one night can appreciate (just imagine the pain multiplied).
Marc Gasol will miss the rest of the season due to a torn neck muscle, Memphis Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins said Wednesday evening. Gasol injured it in a collision with Brendan Haywood in the Grizzlies overtime loss to Dallas. He missed the second half of that game because of the pain.
Gasol had been a solid center for the Grizzlies all season, averaging 14.6 points on 58 percent shooting and 9.3 rebounds per game. But with the Grizzlies out of the playoff picture there was no reason to push the Spaniard this season to keep playing.
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 12
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 13
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 48
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7