Apr 1, 2010, 2:08 AM EDT
So long story short, Kevin Garnett was so upset about the officiating last night in Boston’s 109-104 loss to the Thunder in Boston last night that he dropped an F-bomb in his post-game presser (Warning: NSFW, courtesy of Red’s Army). He said he felt like they were playing “Michael (expletive) Jordan,” referencing Kevin Durant shot 15 free throws, the Celtics shot 17, a fact KG also commented on.
Two things on this. One, the Celtics ended up sending Durant to the line a lot not just because of superstar calls for the youngster, but because they wound up in the bonus fast, on account of poor decisions by the Celtics. The Celtics like to employ a physical, bruising, bullish strategy, ripping, tugging, bumping to establish their defensive presence. And 80% of the time, it works. But when it doesn’t, they don’t adapt to the changes in how the calls are being made. Instead they just keep doing things like when Rasheed Wallace splayed sideways for a rebound, hitting Nenad Krstic in the face, and drawing another foul. Then Sheed complained to the official (shocking, I know), which likely did nothing but exacerbate the situation.
The Celtics have to be able to adjust their game if the calls aren’t going to allow them to bully teams.
Second, let’s be clear. Durant did get superstar calls. And while it sucks for Boston, it’s not like Paul Pierce hasn’t gotten his fair share of draws along the way. In the meantime it’s yet another example of the startling growth from the young Thunder. Getting those calls at this stage in his career helps Durant out to a huge degree. Then again, if he doesn’t get them once the playoffs start, that could frustrate him to a large degree.
So what say you commenters? Is KG justified or should he just keep his mouth shut?
Oh, and where should the league send the money they’ll be collecting from Mr. Garnett in the coming days?
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 3
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 12
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (59)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- LIVE: Pacers aim to even series with Heat
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination