Apr 1, 2010, 2:08 AM EDT
So long story short, Kevin Garnett was so upset about the officiating last night in Boston’s 109-104 loss to the Thunder in Boston last night that he dropped an F-bomb in his post-game presser (Warning: NSFW, courtesy of Red’s Army). He said he felt like they were playing “Michael (expletive) Jordan,” referencing Kevin Durant shot 15 free throws, the Celtics shot 17, a fact KG also commented on.
Two things on this. One, the Celtics ended up sending Durant to the line a lot not just because of superstar calls for the youngster, but because they wound up in the bonus fast, on account of poor decisions by the Celtics. The Celtics like to employ a physical, bruising, bullish strategy, ripping, tugging, bumping to establish their defensive presence. And 80% of the time, it works. But when it doesn’t, they don’t adapt to the changes in how the calls are being made. Instead they just keep doing things like when Rasheed Wallace splayed sideways for a rebound, hitting Nenad Krstic in the face, and drawing another foul. Then Sheed complained to the official (shocking, I know), which likely did nothing but exacerbate the situation.
The Celtics have to be able to adjust their game if the calls aren’t going to allow them to bully teams.
Second, let’s be clear. Durant did get superstar calls. And while it sucks for Boston, it’s not like Paul Pierce hasn’t gotten his fair share of draws along the way. In the meantime it’s yet another example of the startling growth from the young Thunder. Getting those calls at this stage in his career helps Durant out to a huge degree. Then again, if he doesn’t get them once the playoffs start, that could frustrate him to a large degree.
So what say you commenters? Is KG justified or should he just keep his mouth shut?
Oh, and where should the league send the money they’ll be collecting from Mr. Garnett in the coming days?
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 0
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 29
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9