Apr 1, 2010, 2:08 AM EDT
So long story short, Kevin Garnett was so upset about the officiating last night in Boston’s 109-104 loss to the Thunder in Boston last night that he dropped an F-bomb in his post-game presser (Warning: NSFW, courtesy of Red’s Army). He said he felt like they were playing “Michael (expletive) Jordan,” referencing Kevin Durant shot 15 free throws, the Celtics shot 17, a fact KG also commented on.
Two things on this. One, the Celtics ended up sending Durant to the line a lot not just because of superstar calls for the youngster, but because they wound up in the bonus fast, on account of poor decisions by the Celtics. The Celtics like to employ a physical, bruising, bullish strategy, ripping, tugging, bumping to establish their defensive presence. And 80% of the time, it works. But when it doesn’t, they don’t adapt to the changes in how the calls are being made. Instead they just keep doing things like when Rasheed Wallace splayed sideways for a rebound, hitting Nenad Krstic in the face, and drawing another foul. Then Sheed complained to the official (shocking, I know), which likely did nothing but exacerbate the situation.
The Celtics have to be able to adjust their game if the calls aren’t going to allow them to bully teams.
Second, let’s be clear. Durant did get superstar calls. And while it sucks for Boston, it’s not like Paul Pierce hasn’t gotten his fair share of draws along the way. In the meantime it’s yet another example of the startling growth from the young Thunder. Getting those calls at this stage in his career helps Durant out to a huge degree. Then again, if he doesn’t get them once the playoffs start, that could frustrate him to a large degree.
So what say you commenters? Is KG justified or should he just keep his mouth shut?
Oh, and where should the league send the money they’ll be collecting from Mr. Garnett in the coming days?
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 0
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36