Apr 1, 2010, 1:29 PM EST
Last week the Celtics had put a nice little run of wins together — they were back, baby! Fear them come the playoffs.
Today, they are bums. They can’t beat the Thunder at home.
That’s the fan roller coaster ride for contending teams with questions — you can also take this ride in Los Angeles and Orlando as well right now.
Well stop the ride, Doc Rivers wants to get off. From the Boston Herald:
“You don’t have to be (optimistic) because I am,” he said. “I look at our team, and we played one bad night. We were playing great up until two games ago. Were you optimists three games ago?
“Either you’re on the bandwagon or you’re off,” Rivers continued. “I tell guys that all the time. That’s the way I think, and that’s how our team should think. I’m not going to spend time trying to convince you to dislike us or like us. Our team just has to keep working.
“Should I worry about a team where you guys don’t think we can win anymore?”
Rivers is right about this — it’s the body of work over the course of a season that tells you about a team, not just one game. Fans do tend to overreact to one regular season loss.
But the body of work for the Celtics is troubling. Have they really looked good all season? The inability of Kevin Garnett to show out on the pick then recover and protect the rim anymore is brutal when a guy like Durant comes to town, and the Hawks have guys like that. The fact that Rajon Rondo has to take over games late — and if you can force him into jumpers you are in good shape — is troubling. The list keeps on going, but do I really need to go into it all?
Fans shouldn’t stop rooting for their team to win. But they are allowed to be realistic, Doc.
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 3
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 0
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 26
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 2
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 35
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 9