Mar 31, 2010, 7:11 PM EDT
Sasha Vujacic doesn’t matter. Let’s be clear on that. He was marginally okay two season ago during the Lakers run to the Finals, and was subsequently abused in all sorts of ways by Ray Allen. He regressed back to form last year, and has stayed about there. He’s a streak shooter that picks up too many fouls, has poor decision making skills, and struggles to understand his role. He even has an annoying full-court defense attempt that I’m fairly certain has never generated a turnover.
So naturally, he’s having trouble with his coach.
Phil Jackson today told reporters that Vujacic is out of the rotation on account of his attitude, particularly a “little run-in” with the coaching staff during the criminal act the Thunder put on the Lakers last Friday. Vujacic said he has no idea what Jackson’s talking about, which is code for “if I apologize then the spotlight’s off of me.”
Distractions from bench players that aren’t really a part of the core of the team is an example of the nonsense Jackson’s been dealing with this season. It hasn’t been too bad, Lord knows Ron Artest could have been much worse. But Jackson’s got bigger issues than the complaints of Vujacic. It’s more likely that Jackson’s sending a message to the club that discipline is needed. It wouldn’t be the first time Jackson has used the doghouse as a motivational tool for the other players.
Then again, he better be careful. You don’t want to anger the Machine.
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 0
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 6
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 21
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 31
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6