Mar 31, 2010, 9:39 AM EST
Now is the time for tanking.
If a team is not headed to the playoffs — say, hypothetically, the New Jersey Nets — the future of the franchise is better served by getting the best NBA lottery odds it can. That’s no guarantee of a John Wall, but just like at the blackjack table you play the odds.
“The way we’re playing, I think there’s a chance we can catch Minnesota,” said Brook Lopez, who might have had the best week of his career in leading the Nets to a 3-1 record. “You’ve got to look to achieve something.”
“You can ask anybody on the team: We don’t care about that,” Courtney Lee said. “We’re on the team this year. We’re trying to win as many as possible. Whatever happens, happens. Just because you have the worst record doesn’t mean you’re guaranteed to get the first pick. We’ll be around that area, so whatever happens in the draft happens.
“If we can catch them and not finish last in the NBA that would be great.”
You know why they could potentially catch Minnesota? Because the Timberwolves are in a freefall. They are doing everything they can to get the top pick so that David Kahn can draft another point guard.
The team with the worst record in the NBA has a 25 percent chance of winning the lottery. Second worst is 17.8 percent. That’s a pretty big jump when we’re talking a potential franchise player like Wall.
Which is why this is tanking season. And should be in New Jersey.
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 9
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 5
- The Extra Pass: Chemistry clicking in Denver as Nuggets beat Nets to win seventh straight, and Tuesday’s recaps 2
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Michael Carter-Williams, Victor Oladipo with dueling rookie triple doubles 5
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 3: We answer twitter questions on Blazers, Pacers vs. Monstars 0
- Kobe Bryant takes to Twitter to defend his contract extension (100)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (50)
- John Wall: ‘I’m the best point guard in the league’ (45)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)