Mar 31, 2010, 12:25 PM EDT
According to InsideHoops.com, for the first time ever fans will be able to vote for the winner of the MVP award at the end of the season, integrating fan selection into a process that was formerly decided by media members. In principle, it’s a victory for the common man. Extending voting rights to all is the AMERICAN WAY. Or at least the post-Suffrage Movement AMERICAN WAY. Big up yourself, Susan B. Anthony.
Here’s the catch, though: all of the fan votes in all the world will be tabulated, and in the end the fans will cast a whopping one ballot. That’s 1/125th of the total voting, which puts the fan vote somewhere between “totally worthless” and “only very, very insignificant.”
Then again, maybe that’s the way it should be. The general fan population is probably just as bad at picking out MVPs as they are All-Stars, which means Allen Iverson would come in 3rd behind LeBron and Kobe, Tracy McGrady would probably grab 4th, and Yi Jianlian would be the dark horse candidate that walks away with the five seed. Gotta love democracy.
So for now, fans will be able to vote for the MVP even if they won’t be able to vote for the MVP. It’s the only way to introduce an All-Star Voting-ish element to the equation without making the award completely meaningless in the process. The answer probably isn’t to rely solely on media members, but giving too much power to the fans risks turning the most prestigious individual award in basketball into the Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards. Get that blimp, son.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 2
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48