Mar 31, 2010, 7:34 PM EDT
LeBron James was a huge reason the United States took home the gold in Bejiing. Makes sense, since he’s the best basketball player on the planet and all. It was a great experience for him, for the team, for the country, and the banner yet waived. But this summer? It’s a whole other deal.
LeBron has one of the biggest summers of his life coming up, as his personal brand reaches a zenith. Beyond the obvious decision of where he’ll make his kingdom over the prime of his career, James has an ever-expanding business empire, personal appearances, and of course, a family. He’s also filming a movie. You know, like you do.
So some things might have to take a back seat to the itinerary. Like Team USA. James told reporters today that the prospect of him playing for Team USA in the World Championships in Turkey was “very, very shady.”
It’s a hornets nest trying to make an evaluation of this decision. On the one hand, you’re playing for your country, representing it against the rest of the world’s best, an opportunity every American should cherish. On the other, a component of his place in this world is the limited amount of time he has, and he quite obviously does not have time to do everything, nay, much of what he really wants to do. If this were the Olympics? He’d be a definite.
We’ll have to see who ends up actually going to Turkey this summer with so many stars making similar decisions as James.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31