Mar 31, 2010, 7:34 PM EDT
LeBron James was a huge reason the United States took home the gold in Bejiing. Makes sense, since he’s the best basketball player on the planet and all. It was a great experience for him, for the team, for the country, and the banner yet waived. But this summer? It’s a whole other deal.
LeBron has one of the biggest summers of his life coming up, as his personal brand reaches a zenith. Beyond the obvious decision of where he’ll make his kingdom over the prime of his career, James has an ever-expanding business empire, personal appearances, and of course, a family. He’s also filming a movie. You know, like you do.
So some things might have to take a back seat to the itinerary. Like Team USA. James told reporters today that the prospect of him playing for Team USA in the World Championships in Turkey was “very, very shady.”
It’s a hornets nest trying to make an evaluation of this decision. On the one hand, you’re playing for your country, representing it against the rest of the world’s best, an opportunity every American should cherish. On the other, a component of his place in this world is the limited amount of time he has, and he quite obviously does not have time to do everything, nay, much of what he really wants to do. If this were the Olympics? He’d be a definite.
We’ll have to see who ends up actually going to Turkey this summer with so many stars making similar decisions as James.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 1
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 1
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 25
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 6
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 7
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15