Mar 31, 2010, 7:34 PM EDT
LeBron James was a huge reason the United States took home the gold in Bejiing. Makes sense, since he’s the best basketball player on the planet and all. It was a great experience for him, for the team, for the country, and the banner yet waived. But this summer? It’s a whole other deal.
LeBron has one of the biggest summers of his life coming up, as his personal brand reaches a zenith. Beyond the obvious decision of where he’ll make his kingdom over the prime of his career, James has an ever-expanding business empire, personal appearances, and of course, a family. He’s also filming a movie. You know, like you do.
So some things might have to take a back seat to the itinerary. Like Team USA. James told reporters today that the prospect of him playing for Team USA in the World Championships in Turkey was “very, very shady.”
It’s a hornets nest trying to make an evaluation of this decision. On the one hand, you’re playing for your country, representing it against the rest of the world’s best, an opportunity every American should cherish. On the other, a component of his place in this world is the limited amount of time he has, and he quite obviously does not have time to do everything, nay, much of what he really wants to do. If this were the Olympics? He’d be a definite.
We’ll have to see who ends up actually going to Turkey this summer with so many stars making similar decisions as James.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 4
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (98)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'