Mar 31, 2010, 10:23 AM EST
Dorell Wright is a free agent this summer, and his play on the court was going to earn him some bank. He’s giving the Miami Heat 20 solid minutes a night off the bench, shooting well at 45 percent overall and 36 percent from three (you’d like to see him attack the rim more and take fewer long twos, but the numbers aren’t bad. He has a respectable PER of 13.6.
But his actions off the court, both the serious and criminal (a recent DUI charge) and the young and reckless (naked photos of him sent to a groupie that ends up on the Internet) are going to cost him at contract time, according to our own Ira Winderman, writing for the Sun Sentinel.
Any chance of the Heat considering any type of long-term deal is just about out the door. He’s not a bad kid, but he’s also not a reliable investment. It’s a shame, because he has finally come around on the court and makes his team better. But no one needs this type of drama with an eighth man.
Miami is not the only franchise thinking this. Wright is going to get a deal for next season, he is going to get minutes, but when you are a role player your margin for error is smaller. It’s hard to find another guy who can do what Gilbert Arenas does, but you can find another Javaris Crittenton. So the organization treats them differently.
Wright is on the wrong end of that equation.
- Spurs will rest Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili in nationally televised game, Tony Parker also out 20
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee 55
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star 32
- Reports: Houston Rockets pull out of Asik trade talks, will keep him for now 37
- Report: Michael Jordan’s wife pregnant with twin girls 9
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (55)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (49)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (48)
- LeBron angrily goes after Mario Chalmers on the Heat bench (VIDEO) (42)