Mar 31, 2010, 10:23 AM EDT
Dorell Wright is a free agent this summer, and his play on the court was going to earn him some bank. He’s giving the Miami Heat 20 solid minutes a night off the bench, shooting well at 45 percent overall and 36 percent from three (you’d like to see him attack the rim more and take fewer long twos, but the numbers aren’t bad. He has a respectable PER of 13.6.
But his actions off the court, both the serious and criminal (a recent DUI charge) and the young and reckless (naked photos of him sent to a groupie that ends up on the Internet) are going to cost him at contract time, according to our own Ira Winderman, writing for the Sun Sentinel.
Any chance of the Heat considering any type of long-term deal is just about out the door. He’s not a bad kid, but he’s also not a reliable investment. It’s a shame, because he has finally come around on the court and makes his team better. But no one needs this type of drama with an eighth man.
Miami is not the only franchise thinking this. Wright is going to get a deal for next season, he is going to get minutes, but when you are a role player your margin for error is smaller. It’s hard to find another guy who can do what Gilbert Arenas does, but you can find another Javaris Crittenton. So the organization treats them differently.
Wright is on the wrong end of that equation.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31