Mar 31, 2010, 10:23 AM EDT
Dorell Wright is a free agent this summer, and his play on the court was going to earn him some bank. He’s giving the Miami Heat 20 solid minutes a night off the bench, shooting well at 45 percent overall and 36 percent from three (you’d like to see him attack the rim more and take fewer long twos, but the numbers aren’t bad. He has a respectable PER of 13.6.
But his actions off the court, both the serious and criminal (a recent DUI charge) and the young and reckless (naked photos of him sent to a groupie that ends up on the Internet) are going to cost him at contract time, according to our own Ira Winderman, writing for the Sun Sentinel.
Any chance of the Heat considering any type of long-term deal is just about out the door. He’s not a bad kid, but he’s also not a reliable investment. It’s a shame, because he has finally come around on the court and makes his team better. But no one needs this type of drama with an eighth man.
Miami is not the only franchise thinking this. Wright is going to get a deal for next season, he is going to get minutes, but when you are a role player your margin for error is smaller. It’s hard to find another guy who can do what Gilbert Arenas does, but you can find another Javaris Crittenton. So the organization treats them differently.
Wright is on the wrong end of that equation.
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 4
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 18
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 26
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy