Mar 31, 2010, 10:23 AM EDT
Dorell Wright is a free agent this summer, and his play on the court was going to earn him some bank. He’s giving the Miami Heat 20 solid minutes a night off the bench, shooting well at 45 percent overall and 36 percent from three (you’d like to see him attack the rim more and take fewer long twos, but the numbers aren’t bad. He has a respectable PER of 13.6.
But his actions off the court, both the serious and criminal (a recent DUI charge) and the young and reckless (naked photos of him sent to a groupie that ends up on the Internet) are going to cost him at contract time, according to our own Ira Winderman, writing for the Sun Sentinel.
Any chance of the Heat considering any type of long-term deal is just about out the door. He’s not a bad kid, but he’s also not a reliable investment. It’s a shame, because he has finally come around on the court and makes his team better. But no one needs this type of drama with an eighth man.
Miami is not the only franchise thinking this. Wright is going to get a deal for next season, he is going to get minutes, but when you are a role player your margin for error is smaller. It’s hard to find another guy who can do what Gilbert Arenas does, but you can find another Javaris Crittenton. So the organization treats them differently.
Wright is on the wrong end of that equation.
- Report: Dwight Howard told Lakers GM he was frustrated with D’Antoni 1
- Durant, Thunder players tweet out support for Oklahoma City 5
- Brothers allege entourage of Damian Lillard beat them for taking his picture 17
- Amar’e Stoudemire still thinks Knicks’ front court trio can work 17
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 18
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (119)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (73)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay