Mar 31, 2010, 10:23 AM EDT
Dorell Wright is a free agent this summer, and his play on the court was going to earn him some bank. He’s giving the Miami Heat 20 solid minutes a night off the bench, shooting well at 45 percent overall and 36 percent from three (you’d like to see him attack the rim more and take fewer long twos, but the numbers aren’t bad. He has a respectable PER of 13.6.
But his actions off the court, both the serious and criminal (a recent DUI charge) and the young and reckless (naked photos of him sent to a groupie that ends up on the Internet) are going to cost him at contract time, according to our own Ira Winderman, writing for the Sun Sentinel.
Any chance of the Heat considering any type of long-term deal is just about out the door. He’s not a bad kid, but he’s also not a reliable investment. It’s a shame, because he has finally come around on the court and makes his team better. But no one needs this type of drama with an eighth man.
Miami is not the only franchise thinking this. Wright is going to get a deal for next season, he is going to get minutes, but when you are a role player your margin for error is smaller. It’s hard to find another guy who can do what Gilbert Arenas does, but you can find another Javaris Crittenton. So the organization treats them differently.
Wright is on the wrong end of that equation.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 49
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 35
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18