Ray Allen bringing basketball back to Seattle

Mar 30, 2010, 1:27 PM EDT

The fans in Seattle got screwed.

They deserve some NBA basketball, Ray Allen is trying to bring it to them, at least for a night. Sports Illustrated has the details.

A charity game, spearheaded by Boston Celtics guard Ray Allen and embraced by a litany of other players with ties to Seattle and the now-defunct SuperSonics, is in the works for this summer.

“I thought it was appropriate to do something for the city, to thank the fans for more than 40 years of support, and to show the NBA that Seattle is still a viable market for the NBA,” Allen said.

Detlef Schrempf is helping pull this together. (Is there a cooler throwback jersey than the Sonics Schrempf jersey?) Scheduled to take part are Jason Terry, Jamal Crawford, Brandon Roy and others. Lenny Wilkens may even come back and coach (it does not count in the record chase though).

The game may also be a place where Gary Payton can get his number retired. It should be, but Payton is not going to have the ceremony done in Oklahoma City because he has no ties there. He wants it done in Seattle.

It should be. The fans there got screwed. (Oklahoma City, that is not a slight at you. You were the beneficiaries. You voted to tax yourselves so an insanely rich man could build an arena on the cheap, but if you’re good with that largess then so be it. You have the great young team. But that doesn’t mean owners and politicians didn’t screw Seattle fans.)

This needs to come to pass. There are a lot of hurdles to overcome, from finding sponsors to a lot of people in the city still being pissed at the NBA. But rather than a memorial, this could be a celebration. A reminder that Seattle is a good basketball city. Something worth celebrating.

This needs to come to pass.

1. Randy - Mar 30, 2010 at 1:59 PM

It’s a shame that people cannot drop the sour puss b.s. The OKC Thunder have been here for almost 2 full seasons. This season they have sold out the arena, I believe, 23 times this season alone! Grow up! If Seattle got screwed it wasn’t because of OKC. They only have themselves to blame. I was stationed at Whidbey Island back in the heyday when Schremp, Wilkins, Sicma were there. I’m sorry that Gary Peyton feels he has no ties to this team. Things come and go, that’s life.

2. Clown Baby - Mar 30, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Come on Randy…the author said like 2-3 times that none of this is a slight to OKC fans, it’s just that Seattle fans lost out because of politicians and such. Maybe OKC fans need to get over telling Seattle fans to get over their “sour puss b.s.”

3. SonicForLife - Mar 30, 2010 at 2:21 PM

OKC fans don’t get it, but Sonic fans do. We can forgive but, we will never forget how this all went down. I hope the Sonic Alum can put this game together. I know the Sonic faithfully will support. By the way Gary Peyton is a “Sonic” not a Thunder! Long live the glove!

4. Jackson - Mar 30, 2010 at 2:25 PM

@ Randy – The fans are not the ones to blame in Seattle and Seattle Fans don’t blame OKC. They blame the stupid owner that sold the team and the stupid owner that bought the team with no intentions on staying. Fans were still going to the games even though the team wasn’t at the top and they still wanted a team in Seattle. I think you should get your facts right before you put the blame where it shouldn’t go.

5. NICK GERZ - Mar 30, 2010 at 2:31 PM

YEAH WHO REALLY CARE

6. lee - Mar 30, 2010 at 2:33 PM

It’s Oklahoma man, what kid of response did you expect from an okie. “O whelp those darn gun sonic fans think we stole the chickens from um. Well golly, i spit on them there sonic fans”

7. MoeSnaps - Mar 30, 2010 at 2:35 PM

first of all thank you ray allen for puting something like this together for the true seattle supersonic fans. second the seattle supersonic fans could care less about okc fans or the city itself, they are i repeat are not the problem. we never said they were. we just feel that 40 years of professional basketball should have meant something to david stearn, howard schults, greg nickels, clay bennett and any other knuckle head who had a hand in taking our team away. seattle deserves an nba team. if this is a start to somehow someway for us to begin that process ,then i’m all for it. i understand we need to remodel, hell maybe even start from scratch, but at the same time we the fans could have been treated better. provide us with a winner and you will get your money period.
    and on that note bring me my seattle supersonics back, retire gary payton, shawn kemp’s jersey.

8. Craig - Mar 30, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Watch this and tell me that the public didn’t get screwed.
    It was not the public’s decision to not promote the Sonics or its young new star to the area.
    It was not the public’s decision to gut the franchise so the fan wouldn’t attend games during the last season.
    It was not the public’s decision to accept a deal on the litigation that would have kept the Sonics in Seattle
    It was not the public’s decision to blame OKC for taking a franchise that was not struggling, per se, but had been entrenched successfully over 40 years and would not take to blackmail, it is the decision to blame Clay Bennett, David Stern and the government. All rightly so.
    If this can happen in Seattle, it can happen anywhere, the intent was never to give Seattle a chance to keep the team, but to move the team all along, there was nothing we could do to stop it. Someone in the old boy network was owed a favor and one way or another, he was going to get it. Even after Ford Center finishes its renovation, it isn’t up to par compared to the facility that was REQUIRED to be built in Seattle for them to stay.
    THAT is why we will never let it go, we must let everyone know that no team is safe. Market size, geographical location, smart business, doesn’t matter. Tell me how a team in OKC is better for the NBA than Seattle when China is the next big market you are shooting for.

9. txdog - Mar 30, 2010 at 2:40 PM

SOUNDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Brian - Mar 30, 2010 at 2:44 PM

1 question ????? Who is Gary (PEYTON)? Good God the least you all could do is get the name right of a future hall of famer especially if he has ties to your team GARY PAYTON !!!!

11. Stevo - Mar 30, 2010 at 2:59 PM

2nd question? What real Sonic fan doesn’t know how to spell Sikma? YOUR A FRAUD RANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. shorty - Mar 30, 2010 at 3:02 PM

REALLY? This article has nothing to do with OKC VS Seattle, Bennet, Shultz, the governor or anything else related to the transfer of the team to anywhere.
    Its about celebrating the strong basketball hertige here in Seattle with guys that played here or are from here.
    Way to suck the life out of a great idea with your own personal agendas.
    This is a positive thing, put on by a great player for a great basketball city!

13. Stevo - Mar 30, 2010 at 3:03 PM

14. Cam - Mar 30, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Dude, you’re a jack ass… Just because you’re from the South or a rural area doesn’t mean you talk like you have 4 teeth. You, in fact, are one that seems like the ignorant one. OKC fans should and are embracing their young team. Sonics fans got a raw deal, much like Charlotte Hornets fans did in the late 90′s. It’s business… owners who don’t care about the fans move teams to a more profitable area… Executive Suites and Sky Boxes are a big money maker for teams, it’s understandable that the owners want another arena to make more money, however, it’s criminal for the owner to take away a community’s team because they don’t want to line the pockets of some self-interested wanker who only cares about the bottom line.

15. Butters - Mar 30, 2010 at 3:23 PM

Shawn Kemp and his 47 kids should come. Love thy rain man

16. keogroh - Mar 30, 2010 at 3:34 PM

I am from Tacoma right by Seattle and grew up watching the sonics.They were probably my favorite home team.Now I can’t even watch basketball the way David Stearn and the NBA came up and took the team away there is no loyalty in the NBA.If your not New York or LA you better watch out.A couple bad years and your team will be gone.I will raise my kids not around the NBA,but from the NCAA.Which is very sad considering how much I loved basketball.So I hop OKC has a great time now because that attendance dips your team will also be gone.

17. Jack Meoffer - Mar 30, 2010 at 4:01 PM

I live on Long Island and the local government is practically telling the owners to go screw themselves. The new owners are willing to pay to refurbish or build a new arena the local gov’t wants the team to pay for one environmental study after another. He finally gave up and will let his lease run out and move or sell the team. I say good. Although I am not a fan Long Island & New York gets what they deserve. It’s the place of NO…NO..No this…no that. NO!!!!!! Unless you want to grease someones palm over and over. Charles Wang played their game for a while, and now he’s done. They can have the ugliest thing ever built in the middle of a massive cement pond. Another thing Wang wanted to do. That was build condos, shopping area, and office bulidings. Buh bye Islanders. Have fun in Kansas City.

18. D. Ranes - Mar 30, 2010 at 4:12 PM

Ray is such a cool guy. I hated to see him leave Seattle, but as it turned out he went to get a ring and the Sonics left to Chitsville.
    It still burns me up every time I see/hear/read about Durant developing into the Superstar that we knew he would become. Stern has driven the NBA into the ground. Hopefully someday there will be a team known as the Sonics in Seattle, but until Stern is gone I really have no interest in supporting “his” league anyway.
    Thanks, Ray Ray…you are one class act!

19. Indy - Mar 30, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Seattle Pacers anyone?

20. peyton sicma - Mar 30, 2010 at 10:20 PM

that would be awesome,and a welcome from die-hard sonic people. thugs,gangsters,trouble makers the game is getting a bad name what happened to the n.b.a. we watched growing up. hey randy check your facts before spouting off you sound like a idiot your probably david sterns son he was way off too!

21. Green n gold blood - Mar 31, 2010 at 12:14 AM

Hi guys. just to point out first. Its PAYTON. Not PEYTON. Just wanted to clear that up…
    Now, Randy… If you read the article, no one blames the city OKC for what happened to the Sonics. However, lets put this in perspective. You are a Huge Thunder fan and some out of state guy comes in and makes it really really really hard for the team to stay in town. Purposly makes lame duck seasons, trades away your best player and lets the second best player go to another team. Puts plans in place for a half BILLION dollar stadium to be built with tax payer money and the local government NATURALLY does not go for it….. Think about it Randy, You would be pretty pissed off too. I don’t have any ill will towards OKC Marshmellow fans. I do however HATE Uncle Clay! That Some bitch! However, when I hear people like you say “Get over it” or “Boo Hoo” or “If you really loved your team you would have done more to keep them there” etc. It makes me wonder, if any of you have a heart and feel empathy towards us die hard Sonics fans. I would certanly feel bad for you if Uncle Howie did that to yall….

22. Jake Navajo - Mar 31, 2010 at 4:36 PM

This is a good example of why people argue over history. Here are a few historical facts that Seattle fans, wallowing in their hurt feelings and false sense of betrayal, seem to have conveniently forgotten: FACT–the previous owner repeatedly tried to get improvements made at the Rose Garden. The politicians you elected refused to help. The city failed to help. Check the newspaper archives. FACT: Fan support of the team formerly known as the Sonics quit on the team years before the evil Clay Bennett purchased it. Look up the attendance records. FACT–A Native American tribe offered to donate land for a new venue, but the politicians didn’t like it, the Mayor of Seattle didn’t like it, and the fans didn’t like it. FACT–When it became obvious that the lack of political and fan support was going to cause the team to leave, a group organized to prevent that happening. That group couldn’t even interest enough members to hold a decent rally. Check the NBA news account. FACT–The state and city were repeatedly told that unless something was don, the team formerly known as the Sonics would be moved. Nothing was done. FACT–No one outside Washington really cares very much where Gary PAYTON hangs his jersey. He did not endear himself to many, but of course now he is some kind of icon to the disgruntled. FACT–Fans in Seattle have a professional team that represents about all they are entitled to, the Storm. Even their attendance is poor. QUESTION–How many of the politicians who sat around shaking their heads “NO” are still in office? Have you turned any of them out through the vast electoral power of the hundreds of thousands of disgruntled fans? The answer is: No. If you want to place blame, then that is fine. Everyone outside Washington knows where the blame lies. You will also if you look in a mirror.

23. Phil - Mar 31, 2010 at 6:19 PM

@Jake
    Every one of the “FACTS” you listed there are pretty inaccurate.
    First of all, the Rose Garden is where the Portland Trailblazers play, Key Arena is the former Sonics venue.
    Secondly, its not that the Mayor of Seattle or the fans didn’t like the proposed land, it’s that the Governor of Washington disliked the half-ass proposal Clay Bennett put forth where he would charge tax payers for almost all the construction costs involved in the new arena. This was the ownerships way of passively getting the team out of Seattle but still appearing to make a “good faith effort” as per the contract they signed with Howard Schultz.
    Thirdly, the people of Seattle did oust the politicians involved by not re-electing Greg Nickels the next year.
    Here are the facts: Clay Bennett is a freakin snake, Ray Allen is a stud, and you’re a freakin Okie.

24. Jake Navajo - Apr 1, 2010 at 2:19 AM

@you, Phil: You disputed two incorrect portions of my FACTS (Rose Garden instead of Key Arena and I still don’t know how I did that! and the Mayor, not living in the Seattle area this somehow escped me) successfully. The rest of your comment is more disgruntled fan opinions, errors, mistakes, and sleight of hand comments. By the way, I am not an Okie. I am a fellow Washington State native of 4 generations who was a real fan of the team formerly known as the Sonics (I held 2 season tickets to the very end–how about you?). So you see, Phil my boy, my FACTS still stand as a matter of record (Of course there are more FACTS you won’t like, but I am limited in my posts). Additionally, I take blame just as should all who did not do their best for the team formerly known as the Sonics. You know, I looked in the mirror also. Did you? PS: Maybe the Storm can sign Collison. That might make you feel more like attending their games (before they also fold or move) and he does play like a girl, so it all fits, and he has declared his undying love for Seattle since moving to OK.

25. Jake Navajo - Apr 1, 2010 at 2:22 AM