Mar 30, 2010, 8:32 AM EDT
Last night, Dirk Nowitzki went off on the Denver Nuggets, putting up a triple double. He got to the spots on the floor he wanted, got the shots he wanted and finished with 34 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists.
Kenyon Martin’s physical play is normally Denver’s answer to Dirk, but Martin had to watch this one in a suit, as his left knee continues to heal. But that healing takes time, and Denver needs to get used to life without Martin, who may not make it back this season, he told Yahoo.
“Realistically, I might not be able to play this year. …I might not be able to play the rest of the year,” Martin told Yahoo! Sports. “That’s what I’m realistic about, that I might not be able to. It’s still up in the air. But, I’m going to do all I can to make sure. I’m going to put my best foot forward and work hard every day to make sure I get back, but if it’s not meant to be, then it’s out of my control.”
Martin has been riding a bike and says the pain is better, but cautions he has yet to do any running (which kind of matters in basketball). He has a partial tear of the left patella tendon, and has been undergoing the trendy platelet-rich plasma therapy, where his own blood is injected into the injury site to speed healing.
Without Martin, Denver has been pretty average — 10-10 on the season. If the playoffs started today Denver would face Phoenix in the first round. A team you beat by pounding them inside and being physical. Things Denver is not nearly as good at without Martin.
Denver made it to the Western Conference Finals last year and wants another shot at the Lakers this playoffs. But without Martin, that may all be moot.
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20