Mar 30, 2010, 8:32 AM EDT
Last night, Dirk Nowitzki went off on the Denver Nuggets, putting up a triple double. He got to the spots on the floor he wanted, got the shots he wanted and finished with 34 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists.
Kenyon Martin’s physical play is normally Denver’s answer to Dirk, but Martin had to watch this one in a suit, as his left knee continues to heal. But that healing takes time, and Denver needs to get used to life without Martin, who may not make it back this season, he told Yahoo.
“Realistically, I might not be able to play this year. …I might not be able to play the rest of the year,” Martin told Yahoo! Sports. “That’s what I’m realistic about, that I might not be able to. It’s still up in the air. But, I’m going to do all I can to make sure. I’m going to put my best foot forward and work hard every day to make sure I get back, but if it’s not meant to be, then it’s out of my control.”
Martin has been riding a bike and says the pain is better, but cautions he has yet to do any running (which kind of matters in basketball). He has a partial tear of the left patella tendon, and has been undergoing the trendy platelet-rich plasma therapy, where his own blood is injected into the injury site to speed healing.
Without Martin, Denver has been pretty average — 10-10 on the season. If the playoffs started today Denver would face Phoenix in the first round. A team you beat by pounding them inside and being physical. Things Denver is not nearly as good at without Martin.
Denver made it to the Western Conference Finals last year and wants another shot at the Lakers this playoffs. But without Martin, that may all be moot.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 5
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43