Mar 29, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
The Phoenix Suns won last night. They’ve been doing that a lot lately. They are 21-5 in the last 26, and Amare Stoudemire is playing the best ball of his career, which is making rims afraid. The offense is great, the defense is passable and the Suns are back to being the entertaining Suns.
But they barely won last night against the lowly Timberwolves. Al Jefferson had 19 points and 16 rebounds, Kevin Love came off the bench to have 23 and 22. That’s 32 points and 38 rebounds for the two men who make up the inside presence of the Timberwolves.
It was because Robin Lopez is out for the Suns with a bulging disk in his back. Problem is, he may be out for a while, five to seven games. According to the Arizona Republic, it could be worse than that. (Via Brett Pollakoff at FanHouse)
The Suns’ back specialist, Dr. Christopher Huston, examined Lopez in Phoenix, and the center will receive an injection today to reduce the swelling.
“Everybody responds differently to back issues,” (Suns general manager Steve) Kerr said. “On the bright side, the long term is he should be fine and maybe even this year.”
Wait just a second… “maybe even this year?”
If Lopez is not up to form, the Suns are far less scary. The game plan, even with Lopez, was to pound them on the inside. The strategy had not been as successful lately because Lopez was a fantastic last line of defense. If he is not right, or is limping through the playoffs, the Suns will be limping, too. No matter how hard Amare throws it down.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23