Mar 29, 2010, 4:00 PM EST
The Phoenix Suns won last night. They’ve been doing that a lot lately. They are 21-5 in the last 26, and Amare Stoudemire is playing the best ball of his career, which is making rims afraid. The offense is great, the defense is passable and the Suns are back to being the entertaining Suns.
But they barely won last night against the lowly Timberwolves. Al Jefferson had 19 points and 16 rebounds, Kevin Love came off the bench to have 23 and 22. That’s 32 points and 38 rebounds for the two men who make up the inside presence of the Timberwolves.
It was because Robin Lopez is out for the Suns with a bulging disk in his back. Problem is, he may be out for a while, five to seven games. According to the Arizona Republic, it could be worse than that. (Via Brett Pollakoff at FanHouse)
The Suns’ back specialist, Dr. Christopher Huston, examined Lopez in Phoenix, and the center will receive an injection today to reduce the swelling.
“Everybody responds differently to back issues,” (Suns general manager Steve) Kerr said. “On the bright side, the long term is he should be fine and maybe even this year.”
Wait just a second… “maybe even this year?”
If Lopez is not up to form, the Suns are far less scary. The game plan, even with Lopez, was to pound them on the inside. The strategy had not been as successful lately because Lopez was a fantastic last line of defense. If he is not right, or is limping through the playoffs, the Suns will be limping, too. No matter how hard Amare throws it down.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 15
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)