Mar 29, 2010, 7:40 PM EDT
UPDATE 7:45 pm: Wright made a public apology for the photos through a released statement.
“I’d like to apologize to my family, friends and the Heat
organization for this embarrassment. The
photos were taken roughly one year ago in what I thought was a private
conversation. I lacked judgment and was naive about the Internet. I
realize this is not an excuse but it is something I truly regret. I
realize this affects my entire family and I’m embarrassed by it.”
2:42 pm: Not a good month for the Miami Heat’s Dorell Wright. First he gets arrested (and suspended) for drunk driving, then he gets exposed on twitter. Literally.
The long story short (and I don’t even think TMZ would want the long story) is that Wright’s girlfriend got into a twitter argument with some NBA groupies, saying her man was not cheating on her. So, the groupies whipped out the photographic evidence. Literally. A groupie posted photos of Wright’s… um… well… you know, on twitter.
It’s like this is suddenly a trend, starting with the Greg Oden photos from last month and the Spurs George Hill to follow. NBA players, please stop taking photos of yourself trying to impress women who would sleep with you anyway. You are a celebrity. People are going to hold on to those photos, and they will become public. And you’ll look the fool. And I don’t want to write about your junk. So stop it.
This all stems out of the NBA culture. In an ESPN Player X blog post last Friday, an anonymous player said that about 60 percent of married NBA players cheat. And that half the wives in the league started out as groupies. That the young players learn from the older ones and think it’s normal to have a wife at home and some women on the road. These men are young, rich and have had things handed to them for a long time. They often don’t think about consequences.
Until it ends up all over twitter.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 11
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 50
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 33
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11