Mar 29, 2010, 9:40 AM EST
Ask Don Nelson a question about breaking Lenny Wilkens’ record for all time victories by an NBA coach, and he will shoot you a disgusted look. The man does not want to talk about it.
But Sunday night he did talk — a little — about his admiration for the man he is chasing in the record books.
“Lenny Wilkens, he’s been my idol ever since I’ve been coaching, and it’s quite an honor really, to be talked about in the same number that he has,” Nelson said after his team beat the Clippers Sunday. “So if I ever get the honor to bypass him why it will be quite an honor for me.”
Nelson, with 1,330 wins in his career, remains two short of tying and three short of passing Wilkens. The Warriors have just nine games left to do it this season. With the team up for sale, there are no promises about next year for Nelson.
Line of the night goes to Steve Perrin from Clips Nation: “(Nelson) has to feel pretty good about his chances when he looks and sees he gets to play the Clippers again.”
- Duke’s Jabari Parker doesn’t back away from Carmelo Anthony comparison 5
- Michael Carter-Williams returns to Sixers lineup Friday against Nets 5
- Report: Bulls not looking to trade Luol Deng. Why would you think that? 13
- Kendrick Perkins tells Joakim Noah to “get your a– up out’ of Thunder locker room 35
- The Extra Pass: Chicago’s never-ending story, plus Thursday’s recaps 2
- Kobe Bryant is out six weeks with fracture in the left knee (68)
- LeBron did foul Paul George on final shot but there was no call (VIDEO) (60)
- Chicago columnist hammers Derrick Rose as no longer humble star (56)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- LeBron angrily goes after Mario Chalmers on the Heat bench (VIDEO) (50)