Mar 28, 2010, 7:58 PM EST
The Baylor Bears were downed by the Duke Blue Devils behind the same thing that helped the Mountaineers sink the Kentucky Wildcats. Killer three-point shooting.
But in the midst of that, the Bears showed that most likely they, not the Coach K’s crew, had the most NBA ready talent in star guard LaceDarius Dunn and big man Ekpe Udoh. Udoh, in particular was a huge playmaker for the Bears. He showcased good leaping ability, instincts and awareness in transition, actually put the ball on the floor a decent amount, and finished with aggression.
There were downsides as well, pointed out by draft guru Jonathan Givony of Draft Express. Most notably, the Blue Devils created a lot of those opportunities for those long-range bombs off offensive rebounds. Udoh struggled with boxing out and they sorely needed it with other bigs limited by foul trouble.
But Udoh’s performance was one of the better we’ve seen from a prospect in the tournament, and might be enough to boost him into a high lottery pick, possibly in the top ten if things go right and he decides to come out. DX currently has him at #13 to the Grizzlies (unlikely unless they move Thabeet), and this game should help him on a lot of boards, even if Givony sees weaknesses.
Udoh is 22, but a big man that can run the floor and finish at 6-10 is still something of value in the draft.
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 0
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 2
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 9
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 10
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 23
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)