Mar 26, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT
NBA players are products of their generation — they communicate heavily via text and send emails, all from their cell phone. Often doing it while at a VIP table in the back of a bar while drinking Gray Goose.
According to the May issue of Bloomberg Markets magazine, which features Mikhail Prokhorov on the cover, the incoming Nets owner doesn’t own a cell phone, never uses the internet, and has never tasted vodka. For that matter, he also has a $45 million yacht called Solemar that he never uses, because he gets seasick.
This shouldn’t be a problem, most of the other NBA owners are not exactly tech savvy (that guy in Dallas being a pretty major exception). Jerry Buss is not constantly checking the iPhone app store. The owners all pay people to do this for them. One of the perks of being rich.
Then again, if there is one thing NBA players can relate to it is large, frivolous expenses. A $45 million yacht he can’t use should earn him some instant street cred.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 4
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (96)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'