Mar 26, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT
NBA players are products of their generation — they communicate heavily via text and send emails, all from their cell phone. Often doing it while at a VIP table in the back of a bar while drinking Gray Goose.
According to the May issue of Bloomberg Markets magazine, which features Mikhail Prokhorov on the cover, the incoming Nets owner doesn’t own a cell phone, never uses the internet, and has never tasted vodka. For that matter, he also has a $45 million yacht called Solemar that he never uses, because he gets seasick.
This shouldn’t be a problem, most of the other NBA owners are not exactly tech savvy (that guy in Dallas being a pretty major exception). Jerry Buss is not constantly checking the iPhone app store. The owners all pay people to do this for them. One of the perks of being rich.
Then again, if there is one thing NBA players can relate to it is large, frivolous expenses. A $45 million yacht he can’t use should earn him some instant street cred.
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 3
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 4
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 9
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 37
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record