Mar 26, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT
NBA players are products of their generation — they communicate heavily via text and send emails, all from their cell phone. Often doing it while at a VIP table in the back of a bar while drinking Gray Goose.
According to the May issue of Bloomberg Markets magazine, which features Mikhail Prokhorov on the cover, the incoming Nets owner doesn’t own a cell phone, never uses the internet, and has never tasted vodka. For that matter, he also has a $45 million yacht called Solemar that he never uses, because he gets seasick.
This shouldn’t be a problem, most of the other NBA owners are not exactly tech savvy (that guy in Dallas being a pretty major exception). Jerry Buss is not constantly checking the iPhone app store. The owners all pay people to do this for them. One of the perks of being rich.
Then again, if there is one thing NBA players can relate to it is large, frivolous expenses. A $45 million yacht he can’t use should earn him some instant street cred.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 31
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4