Mar 26, 2010, 1:42 PM EDT
In post game comments after the Cavaliers win last night, LeBron James said something that has gotten picked up by the media and blogsphere to day. We’ll take Brett Pollakoff’s version from FanHouse (because he and I think alike on this):
“If I really wanted to,” James said, “if I really wanted to be the scoring [champion] every single year — every single year — I could really do it. But it doesn’t matter.”
I heard the quote last night and moved on, but apparently this caught the attention of some. So three quick thoughts:
1) LeBron is telling the truth, he could win the scoring title every year if he made that his goal – the team would suffer and win less, but he could score plenty more points.
2) There are maybe half a dozen other players in the NBA who could say the exact same thing and it would be true: Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Kevin Durant (who is just figuring this out), Carmelo Anthony. I may be forgetting one or two.
3) All of those guys score a lot, but they all also do it mostly within a team system, they dish out assists on nights the defense is focused too much on them. They are just trying to win. They are gifted scorers and usually using that gift is the best way to get a win, so they do it. But it is the win that matters, not the points.
Isn’t this all common knowledge? Is what LeBron said really interesting? Something we didn’t know? Apparently not. Apparently it’s news.
- Report: Terrence Williams arrested in domestic violence case involving threats with a gun 0
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 6
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 80
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 20
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (80)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay