Mar 26, 2010, 8:54 AM EST
Toronto is a bad team. Have been for more than a month. The Raptors would have fallen out of the playoffs by now if the Bulls were worse.
Since the All-Star Game, Toronto is 6-12. General Manager Brian Colangelo told Dave Feschuk of the Toronto Star that individual agendas have gotten in the way of a team game.
“I’ve got a lot of suspicions, I guess, of what’s gone wrong. It hasn’t been the same since the all-star break,” Colangelo said. “Too many guys came back from the break with a different approach. And that’s the part that’s troubling. … It’s not a talent issue. And it’s clear that the right message is being delivered (by the coaching staff). But the students have to carry out the agenda. And it’s got to be a team agenda. It can’t be an individual agenda.”
Everyone’s first thought is Colangelo took veiled shot at Chris Bosh, the all-everything big man in Toronto who is a free agent this summer and could end up in New York, Miami, just about anywhere, really. Even Toronto.
In his last 10 games, Bosh is putting up a solid 21 points and 9 rebounds a game, but that is off his 24 and 11. In his last 10 Bosh is shooting 46.5 percent from the floor, well off his season long 51.5 percent pace.
But he’s not the real problem — Toronto’s horrific defense is. As we have detailed before, Toronto is close to being one of the worst defensive teams ever to make the playoffs. This is a roster with Bosh and then the talent level drops off a lot — that is on Colangelo — and is filled with players who are just not good defenders. The personal agendas and bad defense do go hand-in-hand. But teams that play bad defense just lose a lot.
And the bottom line is, bad defensive teams lose. A lot. Especially in the first round of the playoffs.
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 1
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 3
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 14
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 23
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 12
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (53)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (38)
- Jason Kidd fined $50K for intentionally spilling drink on the court to stop play in loss to Lakers (37)