Mar 25, 2010, 6:32 PM EDT
Mikhail Prokhorov might be the enigmatic billionaire who will save the Nets. He’s a Russian Oligarch. He’s been described as a “wild child.” He once spent $19,000 on a lunch. He does tricks on a jet ski. He’s been called the “Russian Mark Cuban,” although that label might be restrictive.
Soon, American audiences will have a chance to get a deeper look at Prokhorov. He is set to appear on “60 Minutes,” where he will discuss himself and his plans for the New Jersey Nets. Here’s an excerpt from CBS’ preview of the telecast:
“I am real excited to take the worst team of the league and turn it to
be the best,” says Prokhorov. Asked by Kroft if he really thinks he can
pull it off, the 6-foot-8-inch billionaire responds, “I am confident.
Do you remember in the Frank Sinatra song, ‘New York, New York?’ If I
can make it there, I can make it anywhere,” he tells Kroft with a
With all their cap space and a high-lottery pick, this is going to be an extremely important summer for the NBA’s worst team. At 7 PM this Sunday, Nets fans will get to decide for themselves if Prokhorov is the right man to lead the organization into happier times.
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 1
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 4
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 6
- Report: Tony Parker got death threats during Game 1 9
- Kobe tweets he wants Howard and Gasol back with Lakers 13
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- PFT: Bucs saw Revis injury as opportunity
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable