Pau Gasol isn't a doctor, he just plays one at the hospital

Mar 25, 2010, 10:51 AM EDT

Thumbnail image for gasol_game.jpgPau Gasol dropped out of medical school so he could enter the NBA draft. You know, just like every other NBA big man.

But we’re serious about Gasol, whose mother is a doctor back in Barcelona. The man has carved up cadavers, just like he did to Tim Dunan in the low block last night. So when he made a recent visit to Children’s Hospital in Los Angeles (as detailed in a brilliant Sports Illustrated profile by Lee Jenkins) Gasol took the doctors by surprise.

At Children’s Hospital he met with doctors in a conference room, quizzing them about their treatment of patients with scoliosis, asking how they ensure that their procedures do not stunt lung development. “We all looked at each other like, How does he know this stuff?” says Dr. David Skaggs, chief of orthopedic surgery. Next month Gasol is scheduled to sit in on a spinal surgery with Skaggs, dressed in scrubs. “We talk to him now almost like he is a surgical colleague,” Skaggs says.

Read the whole profile. In an NBA world of hip-hop and PS3s, Gasol is a different cat. If you want to discuss the works of Jose Saramago, he is pretty much the only guy in the NBA to turn to (although Gasol prefers historical novels). He’s not at the Cheesecake Factory much, he prefers Bazaar up in LA.

Gasol is smarter than you. Can’t say that about a ton of NBA players, frankly.

1. Sguy2130 - Mar 25, 2010 at 11:38 AM

You’d think that if Gasol has more of a medical background than most thought, that he would occasionally take a shower knowing the hygenic health benefits from it.

2. Sguy2130 - Mar 25, 2010 at 11:42 AM

You would think that with a medical background, Pau Gasol would understand the hygenic health benefits that go along with daily showering.

3. danielle - Mar 25, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Seriously dude stop hating on Gasol the article is very good and it’s nice to see a positive story about someone in the nba because the media focus so much on the negative

4. mikeyman - Mar 25, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Pau is a very intelligent player. Glad he is a Laker.
    After the Black Mamba provides his killer bite on the competition, Pau should be able to surgically remove their will.

5. Jeff - Mar 25, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Dude, next time you try to write something snappy… get it right the first time. Otherwise you just seem stupid.
    As for Gasol, I think it’s interesting because he doesn’t seem like the guy who would spout medical knowledge at first glance.

6. rick - Mar 25, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Artest could have gone to medical school! Of course I would not use him for My Doctor! I blame the schools and the lack of opportunity for Blackes as the reason most basketball players do not get to go to medical school. Well, maybe after his career is over, my man can go ! Yes. Free at last!

7. lolrick - Mar 25, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Your spelling issues must come from a lack of opportunities for whites. Or maybe just retards.

8. Mark - Mar 25, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Not a laker fan, and I was really not a Gasol fan, or a basketball fan. Good for him. Hey lolrick, I am a special ed teacher, and I work with a lot of ‘retards’ that are not only smarter than you, but a hell of a lot nicer. Maybe we should refer to asses like you as ‘norms’ and make that a negative word.

9. Mark - Mar 25, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Not a laker fan, and I am really not a Gasol fan, or much of a basketball fan. Good for him. Hey lolrick, I am a special ed teacher, and I work with a lot of ‘retards’ that are not only smarter than you, but a hell of a lot nicer. Maybe we should refer to asses like you as ‘norms’ and make that a negative word.

10. Doug - Mar 25, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Mark +1!

11. Anonymous - Mar 25, 2010 at 4:06 PM

I re-typed it because it said my comment didn’t submit you fool, try reading between the lines next time, not like I drastically changed my stance.

12. dctopdog - Mar 25, 2010 at 4:09 PM

This comment was a joke right
    “I blame the schools and the lack of opportunity for Blackes as the reason most basketball players do not get to go to medical school. Well, maybe after his career is over, my man can go ! Yes. Free at last! ”
    ==
    Brotha please. Stop being lazy and realize free education and desire to learn in the USA provides opportunity for all. As an immigrant from a third world country with nothing, my parents came here, worked their butt off, we lived in the worse school district in the south,but it was thru family values, desire to succeed and having sense of responsibility that I graduated high school> went to an ivy league school > and now sit on a board of directors at a lawfirm in DC
    By the way, I am from Kenya, no handouts for my family or myself. Just hard work.

13. whitemumba - Mar 25, 2010 at 5:37 PM

I love the Lakers and they will surprise everyone this too

14. Ben - Mar 25, 2010 at 6:02 PM

Bazaar? Damn. Jose Andres is a great Spanish chef though.

15. fred117 - Mar 25, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Great article in SI. Thanks for the link.
    “Son, if I’d only gotten to be a doctor for five minutes… now that would have been a tragedy.” – Archibald “Moonlight” Graham

16. anen - Mar 26, 2010 at 4:03 AM

The Bazaar seems too expensive for me. I do eat at the Cheesecake Factory mmmmmm =)

17. johnnyhandsome913 - Mar 26, 2010 at 9:53 AM

Gasol is smarter than you. Can’t say that about a ton of NBA players, frankly
    Hey Helin, the ton of NBA players of which you speak are all millionaires. If you’re so smart, wheres your million??

18. johnnyhandsome913 - Mar 26, 2010 at 10:04 AM

Kenya is not a third world country. People from “third world” countries do not refer to their homes as “third world countries.”
    Hmmm, something smells fishy in the thirld world country of the continent Africa…

19. ocgunslinger - Mar 26, 2010 at 10:42 AM

You sir are simply an idiot!

20. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Mar 26, 2010 at 11:06 AM

NBA players are paid millions because of their athletic ability to play the game at a high level. Professional athletes like the NBA players are exception to the rule.
    They were never paid to “think” — unless you’re talking about basketball smarts.

21. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Mar 26, 2010 at 11:15 AM

edit – and when I say exception to the rule, I meant that they don’t need to be intellectually gifted with college and post-grad degrees in order to be millionaires.

22. Dave - Apr 14, 2010 at 10:59 AM

Kenya IS a third world nation.
    Go play basketball.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches