Mar 25, 2010, 3:39 PM EDT
Here’s where it stands right now for Anthony Morrow — he lost his job to a D-Leaguer.
To be fair, Reggie Williams is a pretty special D-Leaguer. The guy has game. But Don Nelson had been giving Morrow a lot of minutes until the Memphis game when it suddenly dropped to two minutes. Here’s how you know it’s the coach’s decision — different stories about why his minutes dropped, with the coach trying to give the player a handy excuse. From the San Francisco Chronicle:
(Morrow) seems to have fallen out of favor after playing at least 20 minutes in 16 straight games recently, including seven 40-minute efforts, and averaging 18.7 points during that span. Nelson says tendonitis in Morrow’s right knee limits his movement. Morrow says he is fine.
Either way, Williams has often become the first guard off the bench. Nelson trusted him as the initiator of the offense for long stretches during an 18-point fourth quarter Monday.
For the next three weeks, Morrow is going to basically have a front row seat to NBA basketball. After that… good question.
Morrow is a restricted free agent, with a $1 million qualifying offer out there. That means, the Warriors can have him back for $1 million, or they can let him test the market, and they have the right to match any offer.
The Warriors just signed Williams though for next season, so it’s not like playing time is suddenly going to open up for Morrow in Golden State. We think. I mean, predicting Don Nelson is a fool’s errand.
Morrow’s salary is not a big pill to swallow, especially if Larry Ellison buys the team. He probably has $1 million under the seat in his car.
But the sale of the team makes everything murky with Morrow and pretty much every Warrior not named Curry. A new owner would mean a new general manager, a new coach, and possibly a Knicks-like clearing out of the roster. Maybe the new coach wants to play Morrow, maybe not. If not, a lot of teams would love to take on the talented Morrow.
But until there is some idea of who is pulling the trigger, we might as well pull out a Ouija board and ask it what is going to happen to Morrow. It’s not going to be more wrong than our guesses.
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 5
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 20
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 14
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 16
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 15
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 36
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 24
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 7