Mar 25, 2010, 1:03 PM EDT
The San Antonio Spurs have kinda sorta been committed to Curtis Jerrells since training camp. He’s been a Spur even though he wasn’t a Spur. Catch my drift? They paid him some serious coin in training camp ($75,000, according to ShamSports), presumably to stick around with San Antonio’s D-League affiliate, the Austin Toros.
So he did. Jerrells has played well for the Toros this season (20.7 PPG, 5.6 APG, and 4.6 RPG), but now he’s been signed for the rest of the year by the Spurs. So he’ll pack his bags, call up his family and friends and…suit up to play in Austin, the same team he’s been playing for all along.
It’s a little weird, but Scott Schroeder of Ridiculous Upside has nailed down the most logical theory: another NBA team was showing interest in Jerrells, so the Spurs have signed him and paid him in order to keep him developing in-house. San Antonio clearly has an interest in retaining Curtis, even if they haven’t offered him a long-term contract. So the latest D-League call-up won’t be making his NBA debut just yet, but supposing he can hold San Antonio’s interest, his time is coming.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 3
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 12
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (59)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights