Mar 24, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
The Nuggets desperately need to be healthy for the playoffs, and that desperation begins with Kenyon Martin’s recovery from patella tendinitis. His size and defense are going to be crucial if Denver plans on crashing the post-season party, and Joey Graham just isn’t going to cut it. Neither is Johan Petro. The Nuggets are a talented team, but being at full strength is essential in contesting a team like…who’s that one…that one in Los Angeles again? I can never remember their name. They should really hire a PR person or something to get them more media coverage.
Martin took a small step — or a small ride, really — toward recovery when began work on a stationary exercise bike after receiving platelet-rich plasma treatments. From Benjamin Hochman of the Denver Post:
“It was a little bit sore after, but not too much,” Martin said of his bike ride, which lasted 20 minutes. “It’s progression from where it was. My pain level is not at the same place from where it was, so that’s a good thing.”…If the pain persists, Martin will have to consider another PRP therapy session, but it’s possible one will be enough. His goal is to return near the beginning of the playoffs in mid-April.
“If I got to do it again to be able to play in the playoffs, I’ll do it again,” Martin said of the procedure, which was so painful, he sweated through his clothing.
Acting head coach Adrian Dantley said the Nuggets are “real concerned about (the injury), but the only thing you can do is keep playing and hope we get him back. I felt like Kenyon is the most valuable player on the team. He was getting double-figure rebounds, guarding all the top power forwards. We definitely miss him.”
That may seem like a coach trying to talk up one of his players, and it probably is. That doesn’t mean there isn’t a lot of truth to Martin’s signified importance.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11