Mar 24, 2010, 12:45 PM EST
The Nuggets desperately need to be healthy for the playoffs, and that desperation begins with Kenyon Martin’s recovery from patella tendinitis. His size and defense are going to be crucial if Denver plans on crashing the post-season party, and Joey Graham just isn’t going to cut it. Neither is Johan Petro. The Nuggets are a talented team, but being at full strength is essential in contesting a team like…who’s that one…that one in Los Angeles again? I can never remember their name. They should really hire a PR person or something to get them more media coverage.
Martin took a small step — or a small ride, really — toward recovery when began work on a stationary exercise bike after receiving platelet-rich plasma treatments. From Benjamin Hochman of the Denver Post:
“It was a little bit sore after, but not too much,” Martin said of his bike ride, which lasted 20 minutes. “It’s progression from where it was. My pain level is not at the same place from where it was, so that’s a good thing.”…If the pain persists, Martin will have to consider another PRP therapy session, but it’s possible one will be enough. His goal is to return near the beginning of the playoffs in mid-April.
“If I got to do it again to be able to play in the playoffs, I’ll do it again,” Martin said of the procedure, which was so painful, he sweated through his clothing.
Acting head coach Adrian Dantley said the Nuggets are “real concerned about (the injury), but the only thing you can do is keep playing and hope we get him back. I felt like Kenyon is the most valuable player on the team. He was getting double-figure rebounds, guarding all the top power forwards. We definitely miss him.”
That may seem like a coach trying to talk up one of his players, and it probably is. That doesn’t mean there isn’t a lot of truth to Martin’s signified importance.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 24
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 12
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 6
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 22
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 17
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (48)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (45)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)