Mar 24, 2010, 2:16 PM EST
Kiki Vandeweghe had been away from the Nets, spending time with his ill mother Colleen out in California.
He returned to the team today, only to learn his mother had died, according to the Star Ledger.
The Nets coach will stay on the job for a while, or until they work out the funeral arrangements. Colleen Kay Hutchins, who was 83, is survived by her husband – former Knicks star Dr. Ernie Vandeweghe – and two sons and two daughters.
Vandeweghe, who had left the Nets Sunday and skipped Monday’s loss to Miami to be with his family, had been contending with his mother’s illness for more than a year.
Our most sincere condolences to the Vandeweghe family.
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 3
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 5
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5