Mar 24, 2010, 2:16 PM EDT
Kiki Vandeweghe had been away from the Nets, spending time with his ill mother Colleen out in California.
He returned to the team today, only to learn his mother had died, according to the Star Ledger.
The Nets coach will stay on the job for a while, or until they work out the funeral arrangements. Colleen Kay Hutchins, who was 83, is survived by her husband – former Knicks star Dr. Ernie Vandeweghe – and two sons and two daughters.
Vandeweghe, who had left the Nets Sunday and skipped Monday’s loss to Miami to be with his family, had been contending with his mother’s illness for more than a year.
Our most sincere condolences to the Vandeweghe family.
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 40
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 39
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 56
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 12
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6